Sunday, July 17, 2022

The Asphalt Jungle

The Asphalt Jungle is a 1950 heist film directed by John Huston and starring Sterling Hayden, James Whitmore, Sam Jaffe (always worth watching), and Marilyn Monroe (in one of her earliest roles). It is considered one of the most influential films in the genre. It's listed in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:



The Guardian says,
The Asphalt Jungle is the greatest, most influential heist movie, and has a superb performance from Sam Jaffe as the middle-aged German-born criminal mastermind behind a million-dollar jewel robbery in an unidentified American city. It differs from most caper films in creating a whole world where the carefully delineated crooks are mirror images of the supposedly respectable society they challenge. The film's crucial line is spoken by the suave lawyer (Louis Calhern) who bankrolls the robbery: 'After all, crime is only a left-hand form of human endeavour.'
Film Site has an interesting article and a detailed plot description. Slant Magazine has a positive review. Empire Online gives it 5 out of 5 stars, calls it "a seminal influence on crime pictures to this day, and concludes, "A tight plot that's enriched by wonderfully crafted characters that each have their own key weaknesses." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 97%.

20 comments:

  1. ...I remember the name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've seen this, but it does sound good

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember parts of this film, but then I watched it a very long time ago when I was young. What I remember most was that it didn't appeal to me, but then I wanted a certain type of movie and it wasn't that type. Now that I am much more mature (but not old-smile) I should watch it again. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sunday too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of crime or heist films, but this one is worth watching even so. All that talent!

      Delete
  4. My hubby loves a good heist film, we'll have to check this one out 😊. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound a very good film, will have to see if we can watch it :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw long ago. Remember it as being pretty good. Forgot Marilyn was in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not heard of this movie, but some of the statements about it certainly could fit in with today's culture (well actually no culture but chaos ruling (IMO)).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Sam Jaffe too. I can't believe I haven't seen this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a good one. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I finally was able to see it.

      Delete
  10. I remember seeing this on TNT a long time ago (probably 10 years ago). I know it made a big impression on me.

    ReplyDelete