Friday, July 08, 2022

The Martian (2015)

The Martian is a 2015 science fiction film directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon. Based on the book, which I loved, this is a faithful adaptation. I watched it on DVD. It doesn't appear to be available free online or through any of the services I subscribe to. I recommend it if you come across it. That there were people who thought it was based on true events goes a lot towards explaining Trump supporters.

trailer:



Roger Ebert's site opens a positive review with this:
"The Martian," Ridley Scott's film about an astronaut surviving on a desolate planet, is at heart a shipwreck story, one that just happens to take the form of a science fiction adventure.
Rolling Stone opens with this: "You won’t find a space epic that’s more fun to geek out at than The Martian." Rotten Tomatoes has both critics and audience consensus scores of 91%.

18 comments:

  1. ...we may soon be trying to live on a desolate planet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not soon, sadly. When I was a child I dreamed of taking the lunar shuttle and living on the Mars colony. Now I doubt it'll _ever_ happen :(

      Delete
  2. I didn't read the book, but loved the movie. Funny that people thought this movie was based on true events, when many consider the Apollo Moon Landing in 1969 to be fake having been filmed in a movie studio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good film. One day I am going to read the book that goes with it. I even have it from when my husband read it. But I am amazed people thought this was based on true events. Hmmm. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is worth your while. Those people are probably the same ones who thought the Gilligan's Island people were actually shipwrecked. lol

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure if I've seen this or not!
    (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol That's so often the case for me!

      Delete
  5. I saw the movie and loved it. It was heart stopping at times, especially when things went terribly wrong, which they often seemed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not always big on sci-fi but this seemed quite real and I enjoyed it tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did seem almost real, didn't it. You can almost understand why people thought it was based on a true story. Almost ;)

      Delete
  7. This was a good one! True events--OMG! Yup--that explains a lot--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never saw the movie loved the book. Two others by Wier to look for Artemis and Project Hail Mary, both excellent stories not movies yet but really good stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie's worth watching. I need to get to the library and see if they have any of his books.

      Delete
  9. Matt Damon is such a talented actor and with Ridley Scott directing I'm sure this is a fabulous movie😁. Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete