Saturday, February 05, 2022

The Eyes Have It

The Eyes Have It is a humorous science fiction short story by Philip K. Dick. You can read it online at this link or listen to it read to you at the bottom of this post. It begins,
It was quite by accident I discovered this incredible invasion of Earth by lifeforms from another planet. As yet, I haven't done anything about it; I can't think of anything to do. I wrote to the Government, and they sent back a pamphlet on the repair and maintenance of frame houses. Anyhow, the whole thing is known; I'm not the first to discover it. Maybe it's even under control.

I was sitting in my easy-chair, idly turning the pages of a paperbacked book someone had left on the bus, when I came across the reference that first put me on the trail. For a moment I didn't respond. It took some time for the full import to sink in. After I'd comprehended, it seemed odd I hadn't noticed it right away.

The reference was clearly to a nonhuman species of incredible properties, not indigenous to Earth. A species, I hasten to point out, customarily masquerading as ordinary human beings.
...
*******


21 comments:

  1. ...a popular saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was hysterical! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent it to an author friend of mine. She enjoyed it, too

      Delete
    2. I'm glad :) Really anything by him is worth reading, but this was particularly unusual I thought.

      Delete
  3. That is very amusing. Metaphor ... can't live with it can't live without it. Or maybe an advanced form of synechtoche? There must be a word for it.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figures of speech were never meant to be taken literally lol

      Delete
  4. The beginning caught my eye, and now I'm going to go read the rest of it. Yesterday in a comment on my post you asid you didn't really like the movie Giant. I didn't like Liz Taylor or Rock Hudson particularly-I'm not sure they fit the characters from the book, but James Dean did a great job. I wonder what he would have become (as an actor) if he'd lived longer. Happy Saturday. Off to read about aliens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't do the aging effects well at all I thought. Maybe I should read the book...

      As I understand it he took his acting seriously. I wish he'd lived :(

      Delete
  5. Fun story. I hope none of those binary fission creatures really come because I don't know if I have the stomach for them either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything and everything Philip K. Dick writes. I have read this before, but I'm off to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one way to interpret and dare I say, dissect a story in a magazine. This was as funny as I remember it from before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a kick out of it. It was new to me.

      Delete
  8. Sometimes it seems like there are a lot of people just masquerading as real human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, this sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete