Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas

Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas is a 2013 French-German Palme d'Or-nominated film based on an 1810 novella which was based on the story of Hans Kohlhaas, a merchant whose grievance against a Saxon nobleman developed into a full-blown feud against the state of Saxony, thus infringing the Eternal Peace of 1495. I watched it on Amazon Prime, but you can watch it free on Tubi. The Younger Son liked and recommended this. I'm thinking if you liked Barry Lyndon you'll like this. That's the film this most reminds me of in terms of pacing. Deliberate would be a good description. If the title leads you to think this is an action movie, let's correct that right off. If you're looking for action, look elsewhere.

trailer:


18 comments:

  1. ...there seems to be an uprising going on every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That title does make this film sound like its full of action and adventure. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it?! It's a different kind of film entirely.

      Delete
  3. This sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Not what I expected at all, but a good movie.

      Delete
  4. This sounds interesting.

    Movies (apologies if I've told you these before):
    The Monolith Monsters
    Black Widow
    Secret Beyond The Door
    Criss Cross

    (1940s/1950s movies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen all of these *beams proudly* Thanks for the recommendations :)

      Delete
  5. I wish it was in English looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HMMMM! I'm on the fence on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be everybody's idea of a good time.

      Delete
  7. He is quite famous here in Germany. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son knows a bit of German history and so was familiar with him.

      Delete
  8. Intriguing concept. I liked Barry Lyndon as long as I could read or do something else while I was watching. Too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slooooow! Barry Lyndon was sooo slooow!

      Delete
  9. I've watched Mads Mikkelsen in a couple of movies and he is always compelling when he's on the screen. Subtitles are more daunting with my wonky eyes but he's been worth the trouble so far. Not free on Prime. I've been leery of Tubi because they make you register and all of that. You've never had any issues with Tubi have you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tubi has been great. No issues at all. You click on the movie, and it plays. I don't remember having to register to watch movies there...

      Delete