Friday, February 11, 2022

Nothing Sacred (1937)

Nothing Sacred is a 1937 screwball comedy directed by William Wellman, produced by David O. Selznick, and starring Carole Lombard and Fredric March. Margaret Hamilton and Hattie McDaniel are also in this. Oscar Levant did the score. This was the first screwball comedy filmed in color. I watched it on Tubi. It's also free on Roku.

via YouTube:



Senses of Cinema says, "its supporting cast is up there with the best in screwball comedy," and also,
Nothing Sacred is actually the keenest of all the screwball comedies to shine a light on society’s ills. What is “screwy” in this film isn’t just a woman but America as a whole; it is a land of opportunists – not to mention liars, cheats and scoundrels – with opportunity.
It has a Rotten Tomatoes critics concensus score of 92%.

24 comments:

  1. We now have Roku so I'll go have a look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...ain't that the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's sacred depends on who you ask ;)

      Delete
  3. I am sure I saw this on Turner Classic Movies. I remember because of Hattie McDaniel. I didn't think I would like it because I don't watch much humor. However, I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Screwball comedies aren't my go-to genre either, but I got a kick out of the cast. And I admit it's cool to see the first one filmed in color.

      Delete
  4. A really great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I will watch it later! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a bit screw-ball comedy person, especially when you look so far back and realize how what is funny has changed. But sometimes those older comedies are pretty funny. Thanks for sharing Nita. And happy start to your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not my favorite kind of film either. They are sometimes just too silly for me. But sometimes it's just the thing. This is worth it just for the cast alone.

      Delete
  7. The entry itself is just wonderfully creative!!! No idea if we have the best connection here to watch it online though :-(
    Cute beginning, really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connections can make a movie unwatchable. All that stop and start :(

      Delete
  8. It's funny how labels change today a screwball comedy would probably be called a romantic comedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really thought about that, but yes, I can't remember the last modern movie I saw that was called a screwball comedy.

      Delete
    2. My recommendation of a modern screwball comedy would be Eight Heads in a Duffel bag.

      Delete
    3. Cool! Wikipedia calls it a "black comedy". Sounds right down my alley :) I'll keep an eye out for a free option, thanks!

      Delete
  9. I adore these two. I think I've seen this before but it's been a long time. I need to watch it again!

    ReplyDelete