Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Gloria (2013)

Gloria is a 2013 Chilean-Spanish drama film about a divorced woman whose children are grown and independent. She's looking for romance. I've forgotten now how I came across it. It showed up in a list of films recommended for one reason or another, I imagine. It won some awards and is well-reviewed. I watched it on HBO Max, but it's also available on Amazon Prime.

trailer:


Paste Magazine opens with this: "Gloria is such a lovely, simple story that it’s amazing (or depressing) that we don’t see more of its kind." The LA Times calls it "near-perfect" in their glowing review. Roger Ebert's site has a 4-star review that opens, "Gloria, "Gloria" —hallelujah! Your truth has marched its way into my heart." It has a 99% critics consensus rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

22 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds joyous 😁. Hope you're having a lovely week! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....the only Gloria that I remember is Van Morrison song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that song from back in the 60s :)

      Delete
  3. This looks wonderful and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are several movies with the title of "Gloria" I saw this on HBO but couldnt get through it. My favorite movie with the same title is the 1980 "Gloria" with Gena Rowlands and John Adames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled, and that's quite a different movie lol I haven't seen the 1980 film and it's not currently streaming on a service I use. I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good movie to bookmark when Himself isn't around

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not my cup of tea! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not usually mine, either, but I ended up liking it.

      Delete
  7. I've never seen a film from Chile -- intriguing!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to watch movies from different countries.

      Delete
  8. Did you like this? It sounds like it might be a good Sunday afternoon kind of film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did like it. It's an interesting look at relationships in an older age group.

      Delete
  9. There sure are a lot of great accolades for this film. I bet it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OUTCH, that´s why high heels are not for me no more!
    Oh, I think I´ll sing all day - this seems to be a great movie, I´ll keep my eyes open (old problem... DVD-search, gahhh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard when DVDs are the only way to see a film :(

      Delete
  11. I might have to peek at this one. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete