Friday, January 31, 2020

Blood Meridian


Blood Meridian is a 1985 epic Western novel by Cormac McCarthy based on historical events involving the Glanton gang. A bleaker picture of life in the West you could never hope to read. I read it because it is considered this author's masterpiece. I found it on a list of greatest American novels. It leaves a definite impression. It's not an easy read.

from the back of the book:
By the author of the critically acclaimed Border Trilogy, Blood Meridian is an epic novel of the violence and depravity that attended America's westward expansion, brilliantly subverting the conventions of the Western novel and the mythology of the "Wild West." Based on historical events that took place on the Texas-Mexico border in the 1850s, it traces the fortunes of the Kid, a fourteen-year-old Tennessean who stumbles into a nightmarish world where Indians are being murdered and the market for their scalps is thriving.
The Guardian says, "Blood Meridian is the Inferno of our time, though the architecture has changed. Hell here is an open desert landscape, an endless journey past demonic shapes and beings living and dead." The New Canon includes it in its consideration of great works of fiction since 1985. Harold Bloom calls it the "ultimate Western" and says, "It culminates all the aesthetic potential that Western fiction can have. I don’t think that anyone can hope to improve on it, that it essentially closes out the tradition."

NPR calls it "the authentic American apocalyptic novel" and "a canonical imaginative achievement, both an American and a universal tragedy of blood" and offers a short excerpt. Kirkus Reviews concludes, "Grandiose, feverish, opaque."

12 comments:

  1. Wow! I think the only Westerns I've read were Zane Grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the modern ones are good. And I've read a few of the women's journals from the period, and those were eye-opening.

      Delete
  2. ...if it isn't an easy read, I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The subject matter was hard to read about.

      Delete
  3. I read Prairie Fires about the Little House on the Prairie LAdy, but what was interesting was how realistic the author wrote about life on the northern plains. (The book won the Pulitzer) Not an easy life, although there was no shoot them up or anything your Cormac McCarthy book sounds like it has. I think I (or maybe people in general) was totally under the wrong impression from all those 1950's Westerns. They're still great films though-or at least some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm always surprised at how _clean_ everything is in all those Western tv shows and movies lol This particular book focuses on the more violent aspects of old soldiers with no homes trying to make their way and on men who'll abuse any power that comes their way. Then as now, violence was a way of life for some :(

      Delete
  4. I think I'll pass on this one, but I'm glad you braved your way through it so I don't have to (grin)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always glad to have read any author's acclaimed "masterpiece" :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing, but I am not a western fan. Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ever read westerns and only read this one because it showed up on lists. I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone for it.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a rough one to read. Definitely not sugar-coated--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete