Monday, January 06, 2020

Isle of Dogs

Isle of Dogs is a 2018 animated film directed by Wes Anderson, a director I always enjoy. The voice actors include Bryan Cranston, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum, Frances McDormand, Harvey Keitel, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton, Yoko Ono, Anjelica Huston, and F. Murray Abraham. The Younger Son gave me this for Christmas.

trailer:



4-minute video on how the puppets were made:



The New York Times has a plot summary and review. The New Yorker has a review. IndieWire describes how the sets were created. The Guardian has two positive reviews: One from February and one from April of 2018.

AV Club calls it one of Anderson's "most wondrous worlds". Rolling Stone praises the movie, but they also discuss the cultural appropriation issue that arose after it was released.

Rotten Tomatoes has a 90% critic consensus rating.

16 comments:

  1. ...I found the video of the puppet creation to be fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop motion animation is such a time-consuming process.

      Delete
  2. When I first saw the title, I thought "meh", but the trailer is pretty compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That director was all I needed to know lol

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this one yet; I will keep an eye out for when it comes to our movie channel (the one that is not an extra charge).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get cable so we get no movie channels unless we subscribe to a service.

      Delete
  4. Who could have imagined how much work went into creating each of those puppets. I read a couple of reviews and it said every hair had to be in place. Too bad there was criticism over the film, because there was so much attention to detail in the making of these puppet dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were accusations of cultural appropriation, but to be honest sometimes I don't understand what cultural appropriation even is :(

      Delete
  5. Isn't there some type of Japanese connection to this film? Or am I thinking of something else? I started it and need to rewatch it as when I wanted to see it I got talked into changing the channel by my family. Thanks for reminding me I want to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one in my saved queue. Once it becomes available on Netflix I'll be able to see it. Looks pretty good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that with movies I want to see. I hardly ever got to see them in the theater.

      Delete
  7. Wow, the puppets are amazing! So much detail goes into making them, it must have taken ages to film too 😁. Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kind of animation takes forever!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like fun. Valerie

    ReplyDelete