Wednesday, January 29, 2020

The Derelict


The Derelict is a 1912 short story by William Hope Hodgson. It's about a ship's crew who discovers a derelict vessel after a storm. You can read it online here or here or here. You can listen to the Librivox recording here. Here's a short excerpt from the tale:
“The storm carried us northward for several hundred miles, and when it dropped us finally, we found ourselves in a very bad state. The ship had been strained, and had taken some three feet of water through her seams; the maintopmast had been sprung, in addition to the jibboom and foret’gallantmast, two of our boats had gone, as also one of the pigstys, with three fine pigs, these latter having been washed overboard but some half-hour before the wind began to ease, which it did very quickly, though a very ugly sea ran for some hours after.

“The wind left us just before dark, and when morning came it brought splendid weather — a calm, mildly undulating sea, and a brilliant sun, with no wind. It showed us also that we were not alone, for about two miles away to the westward was another vessel, which Mr. Selvern, the second mate, pointed out to me.

“‘That’s a pretty rum-looking, packet, doctor,’ he said, and handed me his glass.

“I looked through it at the other vessel, and saw what he meant; at least, I thought I did.

“‘Yes, Mr. Selvern,’ I said. ‘She’s got a pretty old-fashioned look about her.’

“He laughed at me in his pleasant way.

“‘It’s easy to see you’re not a sailor, doctor,’ he remarked. ‘There’s a dozen rum things about her. She’s a derelict, and has been floating round, by the look of her, for many a score of years. Look at the shape of her counter, and the bows and cutwater. She’s as old as the hills ...

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. More of a haunted house at sea kind of tale, I think.

      Delete
  2. ...derelict conjures up interesting images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I had trouble finding a public domain image of a derelict sailing vessel at sea. I was surprised, because I could picture exactly what I wanted in my mind but couldn't find it online.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, this sounds good! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, with that atmosphere those old tales do so well.

      Delete
  5. Sounds scary ... things that go bump in the night 😨. I hope you're having a lovely week! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent reader for the audio but my mind just kept wandering--LOL! I may have to try it again when I'm not as easily distracted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have trouble with audiobooks, and then I can never find where I drifted away :(

      Delete
  7. I gave it a second chance and finished it. Creepy nautical monster tale, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds pretty good. I shall have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete