Friday, January 17, 2020

The Jar

Screen Shot from Alfred Hitchcock Presents

The Jar is a 1944 short story by Ray Bradbury. It was adapted for television in 1964 as an episode of  Alfred Hitchcock Presents. You can read it online here. It begins,
It was one of .those things they keep in a jar in the tent of a sideshow on the outskirts of a little, drowsy town. One of those pale things drifting in alcohol plasma, forever dreaming and circling, with its peeled dead eyes staring out at you -and never seeing you. It went with the noiselessness of late night, and only the crickets chirping, the frogs sobbing off in the moist swampland. One of those things in a big jar that makes your stomach jump like it does when you see an amputated arm in a laboratory vat.

Charlie stared back at it for a long time
Bradbury was always one of my favorite authors, and I've kept a few of his books even as I purge my shelves.

14 comments:

  1. ...I always enjoyed Alfred Hitchcock, his speech matter was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and there always seemed a bit of humor -a wink of the eye- with him.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I remember this, it was good. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bradbury always did have a way with a tale. And he's held up well with me in my re-readings over time.

      Delete
  3. This sounds deliciously creepy 😺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray Bradbury was required reading in one of my high school english classes

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've mentioned him a lot. I've never read much of Ray Bradbury, except back in college. Maybe that means it is time to pick hi up and check him out. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love him. Some of his stories are online, and libraries always have something by him. I don't know what I'd suggestion if I were suggesting a single book....

      Delete
  6. Oh, I remember this one very well! I read it first and then saw it on Alfred Hitchcock! I do love Ray Bradbury's stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's priceless. We watch the Halloween Tree adaptation every year.

      Delete
  7. Sounds great, thanks for the recommendation! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to be said for short stories, even when not written by a master. Bradbury is a master, so there's every reason to read his :)

      Delete