Saturday, January 18, 2020

I Spit on Your Grave (1978)

I Spit on Your Grave is a graphic rape revenge film from 1978. You've been warned. I didn't finish this one. A quick search will find it online, but you're on your own for that.

trailer:



Classic-Horror.com says it's "a deeply disturbing film, but is not worth the time nor the effort of tracking down on DVD. It will not leave viewers satisfied with seeing a highly controversial film but will instead leave them perturbed at how moronic it is."

Roger Ebert describes it as "A vile bag of garbage," "sick, reprehensible and contemptible," and "an expression of the most diseased and perverted darker human natures," and says that after the movie he "walked out of the theater quickly, feeling unclean, ashamed and depressed."

HorrorNews.net says "if you can make it past the first half (it is brutal and only gets worse)" which includes several graphic and violent rape scenes, then we should like the revenge that follows. I can only assume that reviewer is male.

DVD Talk says, "Look, you will probably be wholly and completely repulsed by I Spit on Your Grave. This is one of the most polarizing exploitation films I've ever stumbled across". Oh the Horror calls it "Quite possibly the most notorious title in exploitation horror history". Rotten Tomatoes has a surprisingly depressing number of positive reviews. People like it.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds awful. As a rape victim, I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, even as someone who has never suffered any kind of sexual assault of any kind, much less the trauma of rape, I definitely agree.

      Delete
  2. Thanks but no thanks, not for me! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was willing to give it a try. I'm unwilling to stick it out with this one.

      Delete
  3. I think like everyone else, Pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I'm not sure why anybody would finish this one.

      Delete
  4. I am surprised people actually make and like this kind of film. It sounds disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see positive reviews from some. I watched long enough to realize I needed to stop.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It sounds like we're all in agreement on this one.

      Delete