Saturday, February 01, 2020

Emmonsail's Heath In Winter


Emmonsail's Heath In Winter
by John Clare

I love to see the old heath's withered brake
Mingle its crimpled leaves with furze and ling,
While the old heron from the lonely lake
Starts slow and flaps its melancholy wing,
An oddling crow in idle motion swing
On the half-rotten ash-tree's topmost twig,
Beside whose trunk the gypsy makes his bed.
Up flies the bouncing woodcock from the brig
Where a black quagmire quakes beneath the tread;
The fieldfares chatter in the whistling thorn
And for the haw round fields and closen rove,
And coy bumbarrels, twenty in a drove,
Flit down the hedgerows in the frozen plain
And hang on little twigs and start again.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely painting and poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy looking for images in the public domain that seem to "go" with the post :)

      Delete
  2. I'd rather see the heath in Summer, but I do love the cadence and odd words of the poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm wishing winter would either _be_ winter or yield to full spring.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful poem. I love the images in it. Happy February. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...soon we will enjoy spring's rebirth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're already seeing blooms and new leaves.

      Delete
  5. Very evocative, and I like the painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try every once in a while to "get" poetry. I never do :(

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous find, both the poem and the image. Enjoyed them both today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet--both of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to find a public domain image I liked with the poem. :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful poetry 😀. Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful wird's and Image. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see it in full summer :)

      Delete