Tuesday, February 25, 2020

My Last Story


My Last Story is a 1951 short story by Janet Frame. You can read it online here. It begins,
I'm never going to write another story. I don’t like writing stories. I don’t like putting he said she said he did she did, and telling about people, the small dark woman who coughs into a silk handkerchief and says excuse me would you like another soda cracker Mary, and the men with grease all over their clothes and lunch tins in their hands, the Hillside men who get into the tram at four forty-five, and hang on to the straps so the ladies can sit down comfortably, and stare out of the window and you never know what they’re thinking, perhaps about their sons in Standard two, who are going to work at Hillside when it’s time for them to leave school, and that’s called work and earning a living, well I’m not going to write any more stories like that. I’m not going to write about the snow and the curly chrysanthemums peeping out of the snow and the women saying how lovely every cloud has a silver lining, and I’m not going to write about my grandmother sitting in a black dress at the back door and having her photo taken with Dad because he loved her best and Uncle Charlie broke her heart because he drank beer. I’m never going to write another story after this one. This is my last story.
The life story of this author is interesting, as she had a history of repeated admissions to mental hospitals and was saved from a lobotomy when her story collection was published and won an award.

*******

I won some Happy Mail from CJ:


Have you ever seen such delights? I'm excited about all these. I've never used watercolor crayons before, just as one example, and all these sweet things will be such fun!

There's a cup in the photo at the top of the page. It's a public domain picture from Pixabay, and it's my beverage reference for the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering.

16 comments:

  1. That's a nice happy mail package, full of goodies for creating. That poor author was saved the agony of such a surgery, not because it wasn't right, but because someone else deemed her thoughts had value ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting read and wow, all that happy mail is amazing! I'm sure you'll have fun using all of those goodies too 😁. Wishing you a Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Nice happy mail. I hope we see some ATCs again soon. Hope your T day is great. Hugs Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm curious. WAS it really her last short story? It sure sounds like she burned out! Now I'm very curious about her life story. Thanks for coming over to visit me on Marmelade Gypsy -- it's delightful to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...watercolor crayons, new to me, I'll have to ask my granddaughters. They know knew EVERYTHING arty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Lucky for her the stories were published. I'm glad you like the goodie box. Have fun and a Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting book, scary that she almost had a lobotomy. Have fun with your goodies, they look fantastic! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow I am glad to read too her stories were published and she was saved from that. Congratulations on your awesome Happy Mail-very fun-enjoy exploring everything. I need to look up watercolor crayons too. Happy T hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that poor author was saved from a lobotomy. Talk about the "dark ages." They weren't that long ago in psychology, either. Her story was intriguing, too.

    Wow, lucky you. CJ really outdid herself. I'm thrilled for you because this will be a great way for you to get back into making great ATCs. Thanks for sharing this story, the happy mail, and that photo of a cup with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must have been a rough life for Janet Frame but so glad she was spared a lobotomy! Ooh, so many wonderful goodies from CJ-how generous, and what fun you're going to have!
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky you, D, enjoy your fun goodies from CJ! Janet Frame's life story with happy ending is amazing. I can imagine little worse than having the feeling part of your brain cut away.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. an amusing quotation of the author, and awful that she was a candidate for a lobotomy! That really was a criminal and horrifying practice. Enjoy your wonderful arty gifts! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sooo many things to stop and picture in this short snippet. The wandering mind is hard to follow but very interesting. I think I'll read more about her now. Great goodie box, I'd love to pass one on to someone too, I'll look at CJ's post and see how she executed this kindness ~ Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely package of goodies to receive from CJ. That was very thoughtful of her to send. Happy belated T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely to receive a package of goodies, always exciting to receive happy mail.
    Happy belated T day, thank for your earlier visit I’m still catching up after spending the day unpacking g
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  16. An interesting story and what a life the author had! What a fabulous package you received - lots of fun to be had I think! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete