Saturday, February 15, 2020

Cattle Haul


Cattle Haul is a 2012 short story by Jesmyn Ward. You can read it online here. It begins,
It's easier driving through the country, especially when you doing a cattle haul. Two lanes on one side and two lanes on the other. Switch lanes and pass. At night, like now, the signs sharp and clear. The trees like waves at the side of the road, all black and blue, coming in and going back out like a tide. Ain’t no lights to distract me, to crowd up around me. Just taillights, red lights, like ants, leading me in a line westward.

Part of me want to stop. Part of me want to pull over on the side of the road and turn the rig off and start walking back to where I come from; want to get out the rig and leave it all here in the dark. But I press the gas hard and daydream about flying past the flatlands, speeding to dry, parched Texas, and through the desert to Phoenix to drop these cattle off, but they got weigh stations and state troopers, and cars and rigs like bad potholes: they waiting just to slow you down and fuck you up. I see a deer by the side of the road, two of them, night-feeding by the pines. They don’t even flinch when I pass by.

12 comments:

  1. Some days just feel like a long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poignant, great imagery, and very emotional. This sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping she released them all into the wilderness of Texas along the road, not on the ranch. But it was a nice little read all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd have been in big trouble on several fronts for that lol

      Delete
  4. ...future burgers on their way to market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good, it's on my ever-growing list! I need 3 or 4 hours more each day! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the short stories are short lol The book I'm reading right now is a door stop lol

      Delete