Monday, February 03, 2020

Canon Alberic's Scrap-Book

photo by Thierry de Villepin

Canon Alberic's Scrap-Book is an 1895 ghost story by M.R. James. You can read it online here. It begins,
St Bertrand de Comminges is a decayed town on the spurs of the Pyrenees, not very far from Toulouse, and still nearer to Bagnères-deLuchon. It was the site of a bishopric until the Revolution, and has a cathedral which is visited by a certain number of tourists. In the spring of 1883 an Englishman arrived at this old-world place — I can hardly dignify it with the name of city, for there are not a thousand inhabitants. He was a Cambridge man, who had come specially from Toulouse to see St Bertrand’s Church, and had left two friends, who were less keen archaeologists than himself, in their hotel at Toulouse, under promise to join him on the following morning. Half an hour at the church would satisfy them , and all three could then pursue their journey in the direction of Auch. But our Englishman had come early on the day in question, and proposed to himself to fill a note-book and to use several dozens of plates in the process of describing and photographing every corner of the wonderful church that dominates the little hill of Comminges. In order to carry out this design satisfactorily, it was necessary to monopolize the verger of the church for the day. The verger or sacristan (I prefer the latter appellation, inaccurate as it may be) was accordingly sent for by the somewhat brusque lady who keeps the inn of the Chapeau Rouge; and when he came, the Englishman found him an unexpectedly interesting object of study. It was not in the personal appearance of the little, dry, wizened old man that the interest lay, for he was precisely like dozens of other church-guardians in France, but in a curious furtive or rather hunted and oppressed air which he had. He was perpetually half glancing behind him; the muscles of his back and shoulders seemed to be hunched in a continual nervous contraction, as if he were expecting every moment to find himself in the clutch of an enemy. The Englishman hardly knew whether to put him down as a man haunted by a fixed delusion, or as one oppressed by a guilty conscience, or as an unbearably henpecked husband. The probabilities, when reckoned up, certainly pointed to the last idea; but, still, the impression conveyed was that of a more formidable persecutor even than a termagant wife.
You can have it read to you:



This was inspired by the story:


22 comments:

  1. I'm undecided about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll read any of these old, eerie short stories :)

      Delete
  2. I started listening to this, so will finish it once I let you know I was here early this morning for a change (grin)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting a late start this morning and didn't wake up 'til 9!

      Delete
  3. This sounds interesting. I shall have to check it out. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the atmosphere in these old tales :)

      Delete
  4. ...ghosts have been around forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and there are so many ways to tell those tales.

      Delete
  5. I like short stories & I think some of the old ghost stories have so much more story to them than the ones of today which IMO are mostly gore & no substance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gore does seem to rule in some corners of horror. I prefer the more eerie, atmospheric tales.

      Delete
  6. I like the sound of this, thanks. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The descriptions really bring it to life, I think.

      Delete
  7. Just saw your comment about Kansas. I saw it early this morning on Morning Joe (MSNBC-cable). I laughed so hard when I saw that. This guy needs a geography lesson, but I'll take the Chiefs any day the guy who can't get maps right will give them to me. I'm so proud of them that I wish they WERE a Kansas team. Mahones and the Chiefs will definitely be back next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen folks defending him because, after all, there actually _is_ a Kansas City, Kansas lol Talk about missing the point lol

      Delete
    2. You're asking ME if I know there is a KC, KS? I'm a Kansas girl. When people hear that Wichita is the largest city in the state, they ask why not KC? Because KC, KS is very small. It shares it's boundaries with Overland Park, Shawnee-Mission, Prairie Village, and Leawood. Most of Johnson County is much richer than KC, KS. KC, KS is in the "bottoms," or lower part of the area. It used to flood all the time, so it is mostly industrial. Before the Kings moved to Sacramento (basketball team), they played in a stadium in the bottoms. Yes, KC, KS!

      Trump has a man crush on Kris Kobach (the hard line anti -immigration guy) and Pompeo is from KS. If I were a republican, I couldn't even vote for anyone other than Trump in the primaries because they aren't holding republican primary presidential elections here this year.

      Delete
    3. Oh, no, I knew _you_ knew. It's trump's defenders saying that since there's a Kansas City in Kansas trump's gaffe doesn't matter. Missing the entire point that trump thought the Chiefs were based in Kansas. They'll turn into pretzels defending that man lol

      Yes, I don't usually vote in an uncontested race.

      Delete
    4. Sorry. I missed YOUR point! I hadn't heard anything else, or others defending his gaffe, but I know he is such a dunce, he probably didn't even know there WERE two Kansas Cities.

      I didn't watch the State of the Union tonight. I am so sick about what is happening in our country right now, but I know ONE thing. Whoever becomes the next dem. presidential candidate had better bring more than just his/her A game because Trump will be unstoppable after tomorrow and he is acquitted of impeachment.

      Delete
    5. I always watch the SOTU addresses, so I watched this one. It wasn't a traditional State of the Union speech but more of a rally. I'm so ashamed of Lamar Alexander's naivete in saying he thinks trump will be in any way chastened by this. I agree he'll see this as complete vindication and will be emboldened. :(

      Delete
  8. I read the first part, it sounds an interesting tale but I’m not into ghost stories, I could never watch a scary film, still can’t, LoL
    Have a great week
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like ghost stories :) They're not even usually scary. Sometimes sad, or eerie, or just atmospheric... I just don't usually find them scary.

      Delete
  9. I've never been into ghost stories, but thanks for sharing this.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghost stories and haunted houses have always been my favorite horror sub-genres :)

      Delete