Sunday, February 09, 2020

The White Tiger


The White Tiger is a 2008 Man Booker Prize-winning novel by Aravind Adiga. It was his first novel. I enjoy reading the Booker Prize winners. I gave the book away before I copied the blurb from the back, but Wikipedia says,
The novel provides a darkly humorous perspective of India's class struggle in a globalized world as told through a retrospective narration from Balram Halwai, a village boy. In detailing Balram's journey first to Delhi, where he works as a chauffeur to a rich landlord, and then to Bangalore, the place to which he flees after killing his master and stealing his money, the novel examines issues of religion, caste, loyalty, corruption and poverty in India.[2] Ultimately, Balram transcends his sweet-maker caste and becomes a successful entrepreneur, establishing his own taxi service. In a nation proudly shedding a history of poverty and underdevelopment, he represents, as he himself says, "tomorrow."

The novel has been well-received, making the New York Times bestseller list
Publishers Weekly says, "It's the perfect antidote to lyrical India." Kirkus Reviews concludes, "An undisciplined debut, but one with plenty of vitality."

10 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like my cuppa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried for years to read the Book prize winners whenever I come across them used.

      Delete
  2. ...India's class struggle has always amazed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those old Indian films, too. I enjoy a look at a different culture :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting, must see if I can get it on Kindle. Thanks for sharing, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been enamored with the class, caste, and political struggles of those who live in India. I guess it has to do with my British heritage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fascinating history, and the literature and film is wonderful.

      Delete
  5. I read this book a few years back and I enjoyed it. It is always interesting how cultures can be so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Booker winners used to be easier to find used. We've had one of the local used book stores close in the last few years, and that may be part of it.

      Delete