Thursday, February 06, 2020

The Happiness Cage

The Happiness Cage  (also known as The Mind Snatchers) is a 1972 science fiction film, Christopher Walken's first starring role. In this film Walken plays the sociopathic soldier guinea pig who finds himself an inmate in an experimental medical facility. It was the 70s; what can I say. I came across it online. It's worth looking for if you're a Walken completist or a big 70s film buff. It's an adaptation of a play, and I think it would work better as a play.




DVD Talk says,
Generally good performances highlight a genre hybrid that brings credibility to ideas previously limited to mad doctor movies, and the result is modest but effective.
TCM has an overview.

14 comments:

  1. The Christopher Watkins movie I like is the one where he's a school teacher in a car accident which put him in a coma & when he wakes up he can predict or knows things. The president story line in this movie reminds me so much of the current one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking through his list of films I realize I've seen precious few of them. I should watch for him...

      Delete
  2. I started to watch this. I actually want to finish it, so I'm off to do so, now. I like psychological thrillers, so I might actually like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I watched it, but it is dated.

      Delete
  3. Maybe trying to follow along the lines of Captain America, Wolverine from the Marvel Universe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt stuck in the 70s while I was watching it lol

      Delete
  4. ...ah, but happiness shouldn't be caged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they re-interpreted the word "happiness" ;)

      Delete
  5. I don't think I will watch this one, but thanks for sharing! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much out there, isn't there!

      Delete
  6. This sounds familiar. it might have been something the hubby had on and I watched. Hope you don't get snow tonight. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got snow! I was sooo excited! It didn't amount to anything, of course, but it was pretty while it lasted. There's still some left on some roofs/lawns/patio furniture, but that won't last. The high today is predicted to be 46F, and it's supposed to get to 65 on Sunday lol

      Delete
  7. I had to finally get back to watch this because of Christopher Walken. I'll watch him in anything. Even in real bomb movies he puts his all into them--LOL! He's quite the character. Anyways, I had never seen this one. Strange and slow moving, but I can see this plot line being of the times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a 70s film. I would love to see it as a play.

      Delete