Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Summer Interlude

Two of the several coffee scenes from the film Summer Interlude:



Summer Interlude is a 1951 Ingmar Bergman film about the emotional struggle experienced by a ballerina as she is forced to confront events from her past. The plot and characters are engaging, and the film itself is beautiful. I love Bergman's films, so your mileage may vary; but oh! this is lovely!

trailer:



quotes:

"I love you in spite of everything."
...
"Days like pearls: round and lustrous, threaded on a golden string. Days filled with fun and caresses. Nights of waking dreams. When did we sleep? We had no time for sleep."
...

Slant Magazine calls it Bergman's "first great film". Empire Online gives it 4 out of 5 stars and concludes, "Complex and beguiling this is the first foothold on Bergman's climb to brilliance." DVD Talk highly recommends it. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 100%.

I always drink coffee or hot tea while I'm watching movies, so when the characters in the films drink coffee or hot tea I somehow feel a connection. Please get your drink of choice, pull up a comfortable seat, and join the folks and make a connection over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T(ea) Tuesday linkup.

12 comments:

  1. I may have to see that movie now...I think you've sold me. :)
    Happy T day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this film... it's a special romance... and we don't know in the end if she will be happy with David...
    since my first husband died as we were just married a few years I can feel a little bit what Marie feels....
    HAPPY T-DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love this film-and Ingmar Bergman! Thanks for sharing and a happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my not sure why I have not seen this one before (but we will remedy that soon!)....
    it looks positively enchanting as Ingmar Bergman films are so masterfully done!
    Brilliant quotes today for T also...thanks so much
    Happy T Day!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is not one of Ingmar Bergman's films on Netflix streaming. :( I have seen a few of his haunting films and enjoyed them. I know you enjoy films like these--have you ever seen the Swedish film Oxen (1991)? Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of Bergman's films are available free online, but I also have a few DVDs of his films. I haven't see that Swedish film you mention, but I'll look for it. Thx! :)

      Delete
  6. OK, the trailer clinched it for me! I'm definitely putting this on my "to see" list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm SO sorry I haven't been here sooner, but I've been sick most of the day. Fever, flem, headache, and the chills I don't need when I welcome in my bEARTHday tomorrow.

    I'll be back to watch the trailer when I feel up to sitting through it. You showed some beautiful and very appropriate images from the film for T this Tuesday. I'm going to check with Krisha and see why you are getting malware on your computer from hers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I just let Krisha know about your malware problem, but I think she already knows, since she wrote
    "I am on the internet without any anti-virus protection. When I logged on this morning there were all kinds of pop-ups telling me my subscription had laps. BOOOGERS!!! that means I have to get this PC and my laptop in for an annual checkup. But I just HAD to get a T-day post done this week.......LOL!!! I found it is much easier to do an annual thing and pay minimal cost than to download off the "net", not get the right thing and then have a real expensive mess on my hands later."

    I hope the problem is corrected next week! If NOT, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok lol, at least I know the problem's not on my end. I'm sure it'll clear up soon

      Delete
  9. I love Ingmar Bergman... That was when they knew how to make a good movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just cant lose with a Bergman film in my opinion.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete