Friday, April 10, 2015

150,000 Tulips


Yes, you read that right: 150,000 tulips!


The Dixon Gallery and Gardens has had quite the exhibition in their garden this Spring.


The weather has been cooperative so far, and there haven't been wind storms or tornadoes to tear them up. I saw them day before yesterday, when there was sunshine and 80F degree weather with a nice breeze. There were a lot of people who had the same idea I had, and I saw people from babies in strollers to elders using walkers enjoying themselves. I visited with some tourists, which is always fun.


The display is stunning! There are tulips throughout the gardens. I saw tulip arrangements inside the gallery, but I don't take pictures inside. I took so many photos outside, though, it's been hard to pick which ones to share.


This sweet thing was tucked away along a path:


The tulips won't last much past the end of April, but we'll start seeing azaleas in full bloom by then. Spring and Summer are months I could live in the Dixon gardens.


The tulips were different sizes, heights, and colors. The woman staffing the entrance handed out a guide, but I couldn't keep track of all the different kinds of tulips. I just soaked up the beauty instead. I'm always happy to see warmer weather in the Spring, and these flowers made for a lovely afternoon outside!

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful garden of tulips. It must have been jaw dropping beautiful in person. I wouldn't know which way to look first.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Such stunning photos. We get tulips in the stores by Easter, but in gardens (a very few, by protective walls) they will not show until perhaps the end of May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tulips do well here unless the Spring storms get them. We've been lucky this year. This exhibit is supposed to be featured until 4/20, and they are still looking wonderful. There were a couple of photographers who looked like they knew what they were doing that day. I'd love to see their photos! :)

      Delete
  3. I could NEVER EVER get enough photos of these beauties. Already, some of mine are beginning to fade and die, so their life cycle is much shorter than I remember from years past. The irony is, I bought all those bulbs after our local Botanical Gardens had pulled them. They sold them for 10 cents a bulb, and I bought 50. I immediately planted some in front and some in back. I kept about half in my basement until autumn, when I was told I should plant them. The ones I planted as soon as I got them have bloomed year after year. The ones I planted in autumn have never bloomed. The problem with buying them like that is, you have no idea what colors you will get, so I have a couple of pink ones near yellow/red ones.

    I would LOVE to see more photos of this incredible display. It sure puts our displays to shame, because yours are all over your gardens. I bet they had a ton of volunteers planting them last autumn, and there will be as many removing them later this month. Please take your camera and share more of this gorgeous display with us over the next few weeks. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about the possibility that they might sell their bulbs. They might. I never plant them, not really having the room. I love mixed color beds, so your display would suit me :)

      Delete