Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Céleste (1980)

Céleste (Amazon Prime, Tubi) is a 1980 West German film about the relationship between the French writer Marcel Proust and his devoted housekeeper/attendant/secretary as his health deteriorates. It is from her point of view that this story is told. I read Proust's Remembrance of Things Past years ago and was fascinated by the life story of the author. This is a lovely movie, beautifully expanding on what I knew about Proust.

trailer (in German):



******* Reminder: You can watch Tubi on your computer, or you can add the free app to your TV and watch it that way.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read any Proust but his name seems to come up in so many other things at times, so I'd be interested din this film. I'll add it to my list. Have a super day Nita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proust was a revelation for me. I'd love to read the new translation.

      Delete
  2. ...all unknown to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another one to add to my watchlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by to say thank you for your kind thoughts and condolences on Eddies passing.

    I do hope to get back to regular blogging soon.
    In the meantime, my thanks again to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this recommendation! The film about Marcel Proust sounds fascinating, especially from the perspective of his housekeeper. If you have a moment, I’d love for you to check out my latest blog post on melodyjacob.com. I think you'll find it interesting!

    Enjoy watching the movie, and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so far behind in blogland! but I will definitely read your blog. Thanks for the link :)

      Delete