Monday, June 12, 2023

Return to Oz

Return to Oz is a 1985 dark fantasy Disney film, an unofficial direct sequel to the Judy Garland Wizard of Oz classic. This film is fairly faithful to the L. Frank Baum books, with a Dorothy actor who is much more the Dorothy of those books. I wasn't expecting to love this, but I do. This movie stars Jean Marsh, Piper Laurie, and Fairuza Balk as Dorothy Gale in her first screen role. I watched it on Disney+.

trailer:



Neil Gaiman says, "Terrifying and visionary, funny and exciting, Return to Oz is one of the very best fantasy films I've ever seen." The Guardian gives it a positive review and says, "the tiny, pale, turquoise-eyed Balk proceeded to give one of the greatest child performances in cinema." Slash Film calls it essential viewing.

22 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting. Now I need to check out the book once again because I can't remember exactly how Dorothy was suppose to look. Happy Monday Nita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they did a great job of picking up where the Judy Garland film left off while being truer to the books than hers was.

      Delete
  2. Interesting trailer. Not sure I want terrifying to linger in my mind as I really like The Wizard of OZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found The Wizard of Oz terrifying lol

      Delete
  3. ...the Wizard of Oz sure is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do find them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I don't want to see the real deal messed with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but this harkens back more to images from the books.

      Delete
  6. I've never seen this one. I'll keep my eyes open. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:45 PM

    It seems funny to call it a sequel when it comes out almost 50 years after the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does start up exactly where the Judy Garland movie left off. It just took them a while to get to it.

      Delete
  9. I wish we had the Disney channel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not seen this one, I'll have to give it a try ☺️. Thanks for the recommendation and sending hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth watching. Thanks for the hugs :)

      Delete
  11. I LOVE The Wizard of Oz and after seeing that trailer, I somehow don't want to see this one. I want to remember Oz as it was back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a different approach, and many of the characters are different. I'm glad to see the other books get some attention.

      Delete