Thursday, June 22, 2023

Desert Hearts

Desert Hearts is a 1985 American romantic drama film set in Reno, Nevada, in 1959 telling the story of a university professor awaiting a divorce who finds her true self through a relationship with another, more self-confident woman. I watched it on Max.

trailer:



Roger Ebert opens with this:
"Desert Hearts" tells the story of a woman in her 30s who suddenly is awakened to the turmoils of passionate love, and because that is basically a simple story, this is basically a simple movie. What makes it unusual is that the story is set in the 1950s and the woman falls in love with a lesbian.

Slant Magazine says "It advocates risk and consciousness as the only means to overcome the cold hand of so-called normative thought." 90% of Rotten Tomatoes critics love it.

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I might pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the character development good. So many women not worried about men lol

      Delete
  2. You have found another great film for Pride Month. I am surprised it was even accepted in 1985, much less the 1950s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People were closeted back then, I think.

      Delete
  3. Do you actually know how lucky you are?
    I would love to see this - in the original.
    What are my options? Pay to get Netflix - in German. So all the dialogs get broken, the voices not the real ones - no option.
    Try and buy the DVD. For watching once? And also make sure there is an English version - some are in German only.
    We live digitally in the Middle Ages here, that´s why your blog is so dangerous to me. I want but I can´t...
    This story reminds me a lot of the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes". I even got the book somewhere, too (I think in German).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky here. I watch some foreign films and tv, and it's usually subtitled so I get to hear the actual voices. It does make a difference. Buying a film for watching once makes no sense, I agree, unless you can get it cheaper than a theater ticket.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh I remember this movie. I haven't thought of it in quite some time. I will watch it today. Thanks for reminding me of it. Have a great day today

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if people are the only animals who go through self discovery. Happy new week Nita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is yes, but we learn new things every day...

      Delete