Thursday, June 08, 2023

A Taste of Honey

A Taste of Honey is a 1961 British film about a high school senior who finds herself pregnant and with no place to live after her alcoholic mother takes a new lover. She finds a friend in a young gay man. I came across it on a list of important films exploring topics related to Gay Pride month. I watched it on Max.

via Internet Archive:



BFI closes with this:
If the then-daring subject matter suggests an issue-led drama urging moral tolerance, director Tony Richardson’s treatment is more a matter of poetic realism, highlighting sensitive changes of mood and emotion against a backdrop of grimly authentic Salford locations. Social attitudes may have moved on since 1961, but wide-eyed Rita Tushingham’s affecting central performance remains a delight.

Slant concludes, "A Taste of Honey is an essential title in global cinema’s shift toward investigating the inner lives of quotidian folk." Empire Online says, "It's easy to bandy about terms like "classic", but there is no other way to describe this magnificent, if dated, film."

9 comments:

  1. ...life is a complex activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when this came out. I thought Rita Tushingham's performance was so memorable. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I had seen this long ago but couldn't remember how it ended. Well, because it had a really crappy ending--lol! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new to me. Odd ending, I thought...

      Delete
    2. It was new to me. Odd ending, I thought...

      Delete
  4. It appears to be quite bold for its time, especially how gays were treated in England in the 60s. They were imprisoned just for being who they were! Such shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been interested to see how old some of these movies are.

      Delete