Saturday, November 12, 2022

The Young One

The Young One (released as White Trash in the United States and Island of Shame in the United Kingdom) is a 1960 English-language Mexican drama film directed and co-written by Luis Buñuel. Inspired by the story "Travelin' Man" by Peter Matthiessen, the film deals with issues such as racism and statutory rape by depicting the interactions between two men and a teenage girl on a private island game preserve.

via Daily Motion:



Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 100%. Slant Magazine gives it 4 out of 4 stars and says, "Not a single frame is wasted in The Young One and every image conveys the forcible weight of its maker’s appalled moral and social viewpoint".

12 comments:

  1. ...issues that still exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a sadly current feel to it.

      Delete
  2. A must watch when Himself isn't home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I've seen it. That director is always worth watching.

      Delete
  3. I saw this when I was studying - long, long ago! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be interesting to hear it discussed in a formal setting.

      Delete
  4. I watched it. Not used to commercials--lol! Hard to watch these days, even though I know a lot of people haven't changed much...but a very satisfying ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten used to no commercials, too. It makes such a difference.

      Delete
  5. I like how you're watching some Mexican films lately. This one doesn't sound like a fun film but obviously with 100% on rotten tomatoes, it must be a well made one. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I missed this. It sounds like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still watch it on your computer via DailyMotion above...

      Delete