Saturday, November 05, 2022

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean is a 1972 comedy western directed by John Huston and starring Paul Newman, Jacqueline Bisset, Tab Hunter, John Huston, Stacy Keach, Roddy McDowell, Anthony Perkins, Victoria Principal, Anthony Zerbe, Ava Gardner, Ned Beatty, and Michael Sarrazin. Just look at that cast! I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:



Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 89%. Roger Ebert is not a fan. Empire Online calls it "underrated". DVD Talk opens its review with this: "A memorably bizarre melding of screenwriter John Milius's macho mythologizing and director John Huston's impish desire to tell a ripping yarn, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972) is one of the weirdest westerns to come out of a Hollywood studio."

16 comments:

  1. ...I remember this title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see it then, but I remember when it came out.

      Delete
  2. You can't wrong with Paul Newman. Even in a bad movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not one of my favorites, but he is a winner.

      Delete
  3. Such a fabulous cast and I seem to remember watching this comedy western and thinking it a love story 😊. I hope you're having a lovely weekend! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched it on TV. I think Turner Movies, but not sure. I loved the cast, many of whom I had at least heard of before seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw it on TV, too, back in the day.

      Delete
  5. How can one not like this film. A real classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hear much about it anymore, and you'd think it would get more attention.

      Delete
  6. Watched this long ago. Remember it as being quite out there and silly in a lot of ways. Lots of good actors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw that ages ago. Love Paul!

    ReplyDelete