Saturday, November 19, 2022

Taxi Driver

Taxi Driver is an award-winning 1976 film directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd, Harvey Keitel, and Peter Boyle. I picked up a used DVD for cheap years ago but am just now getting around to watching it. It's considered one of the most culturally significant and inspirational film of its time. You can watch it at Paramount+ or with a free 7-day trial of Showtime.

trailer:



The Guardian gives it 5 out of 5 stars. Spirituality and Practice says it's "A compelling and unsettling film exploring many of the fears, aches, and dislocations of contemporary urban life. " Roger Ebert gives it a full 4 stars and calls it a great movie and "a brilliant nightmare". Empire Online gives it 5 out of 5 stars and closes with this: "The blend of Schrader's script, Scorsese's direction and De Niro's performance is both riveting and unnerving. A film that will stay with you forever." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 96%.

16 comments:

  1. ...even I know this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's an oldie I remember. DeNiro looked so young in it. (because he was, right?) Happy Saturday Nita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In his 30s, maybe? That's young to me ;)

      Delete
  3. This is a great film. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. A long time since I saw this one. It's very disturbing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found it more disturbing than Clockwork Orange.

      Delete
  5. Goodness! I saw this back in the 70s but it didn't stay with me forever, I guess. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of these scenes may stick with me long-term.

      Delete
  6. I've never seen this

    ReplyDelete
  7. The end was so brutal and graphic it is really all I remember well from the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the last bit after that brutal scene that most impressed me. The real lack of consequences.

      Delete
  8. Another film I watched on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how they could show it on TV... I used to see a lot of movies on TV back in the day.

      Delete