Friday, November 18, 2022

A Clockwork Orange

A Clockwork Orange is a 1971 dystopian crime film directed by Stanley Kubrick based on the Anthony Burgess novel. Wikipedia says, "It employs disturbing, violent images to comment on psychiatry, juvenile delinquency, youth gangs, and other social, political, and economic subjects in a dystopian near-future Britain." To be honest, I've had this DVD for decades and kept putting it off because I had heard how disturbing it was. Maybe back when it was released... but now its ability to shock has diminished, at least for me. You can watch it on Netflix or HBO Max.

trailer:



Roger Ebert opens by saying,
Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" is an ideological mess, a paranoid right-wing fantasy masquerading As an Orwellian warning. It pretends to oppose the police state and forced mind control, but all it really does is celebrate the nastiness of its hero, Alex.
Slant Magazine says
It’s Kubrick’s most prescient work, more astute and unsparing than any of his other films (and he had more where that came from) in putting the bleakest parts of human behavior under the microscope and laughing in disgust.
FilmSite has an article that includes a lengthy plot description. Empire Online calls it one of Kubrick's best. Rotten Tomatoes has an audience score of 93%.

16 comments:

  1. I've never seen this film and, I don't know if I really want to

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the title... I'm a wuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much less of a wuss now than I was back when this came out.

      Delete
  3. A dreadful film, but somehow I like it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I liked it, but I can certainly see why it got so much attention.

      Delete
  4. wow -- now that's a blast from the past! A creepy blast. But a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this film for the same reasons you stated (about why you put it off). But that's a good point about how things have changed. In some ways it's kind of sad we don't find some things disturbing any longer. But maybe better too-depending on what specifically we're discussing. Have a great start to your weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes more and more to shock, but maybe that means they find different ways than shock to get their point across.

      Delete
  6. I saw it years ago and didn't like it. Too violent and bizarre. Maybe it wouldn't seem as crazy now but I wouldn't rewatrch it,anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i imagine you wouldn't find it as violent now, given how much increasing media violence we're exposed to, but it's just as bizarre as it ever was.

      Delete
  7. Believe it or not, we watched this film in a psychology class I took in grad school. It was a protest against behaviorism which was advocated by BF Skinner. I was mildly disgusted with Alex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be fascinating to hear it discussed within that framework. Cool!

      Delete