Friday, November 25, 2022

I Sing the Mighty Power of God

As with politics I don't post much on religion, though I do have opinions I'd love to discuss anytime you feel like wading in... but I want to note that today is the anniversary of the death of Isaac Watts in 1748 at the age of 74. A prolific hymn writer, he is known as "the Godfather of English Hymnody". His works include When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, Joy to the World, and Oh God, Our Help in Ages Past.

I Sing the Mighty Power of God



lyrics:
1. I sing the almighty power of God,
that made the mountains rise,
that spread the flowing seas abroad,
and built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained
the sun to rule the day;
the moon shines full at God's command,
and all the stars obey.


2. I sing the goodness of the Lord,
who filled the earth with food,
who formed the creatures thru the Word,
and then pronounced them good.
Lord, how thy wonders are displayed,
where'er I turn my eye,
if I survey the ground I tread,
or gaze upon the sky.


3. There's not a plant or flower below,
but makes thy glories known,
and clouds arise, and tempests blow,
by order from thy throne;
while all that borrows life from thee
is ever in thy care;
and everywhere that we can be,
thou, God, art present there.


12 comments:

  1. It's not often that I pay attention to who composed a hymn but when I do it will often be a religious leader like the Wesleys or a classical composer. Those are three good hymns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles Wesley's hymnwriting was a wonder, wasn't it!

      Delete
  2. ...this one I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard this hymn. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if that's a regional or a denominational difference.

      Delete
  4. I also remember this from my childhood, but had no idea who wrote it, or its significance. Thanks for taking us away from politics for a single day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day after Thanksgiving is our traditional trim-the-tree day, so between that and the England-USA World Cup game my mind is far from politics lol

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard church choirs sing hymns for many years. Not one I knew. Methodist so probably a lot of Wesley hymns--LOL! I still do love churches for their organ music and choirs--but I always preferred them empty. Filled with the organ or empty is when they feel holy to me--no matter the denomination. That probably makes no sense to anyone but me--lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Organs aren't as popular any more, but I always think of church when I hear them.

      Delete
  6. What amazing lyrics, he definitely had a beautiful way with words - love it 😊. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete