Tuesday, November 15, 2022

The Green Knight (2021)

The Green Knight is a 2021 film based on the King Arthur story of Sir Gawain. I was disappointed with the liberties they took with the tale. I watched it on Showtime as part of a 7-day free trial.

trailer:



The New Yorker concludes,
Lowery revises a legend, in style and in substance, in order to evoke a way of telling different stories, and of telling stories differently. He takes the risk of perpetuating a deluded gospel of evil, or of seeming to do so, in a daring effort to dramatize a world in desperate need of artistic redemption.
Rolling Stone gives it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars and says, "it revises the material freely, leaning into a revisionism that amounts to a daring act of interpretation". Roger Ebert's site calls it "one of the most memorable films of the year, a fascinating swirl of masculinity, temptation, heroism, and religion". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 89%.

image above from Rotten Tomatoes


Please post a drink reference to your own blog and join the T Stands for Tuesday gathering. I'm still on a staycation, but I'll be back for T next Tuesday.

10 comments:

  1. Happy T day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...the movie often in't as good as the book, they say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, disappointing to hear that the the film didn't stick to the original story as that has all the elements of a great story. Chivalry, action, love, betrayal, redemption as well as being a morality play. The other version of the movie I told you about was just as disappointing. Though it stuck closer to the original story it was slow, poorly acted with stilted dialogue. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving that little fox! Shame they took liberties with the tale, King Arthur is so well know it was bound to disappoint 😊. Happy T Tuesday! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be interesting to take a course on studying old films. They sure have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it has little to do with the actual tale. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen this but I remember reading this story back in college. I hope you had a great T day Nita. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always loved that story -- I'm sorry it didn't hold up in the film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this film disappointed quite a few who watched it.

    Hope you are enjoying your staycation.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. And of course, I missed this post. I'm glad you will be back next Tuesday. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete