Friday, July 09, 2021

Tom Paine Maru

image from Amazon


Tom Paine Maru is a science fiction novel by L. Neil Smith. His Libertarian philosophy is strongly supported in his books, yet not in a way that makes them the focus. This book is quite enjoyable even for someone like me whose opinion of Libertarianism... well, let's just say I prefer a world that's not set up like that.

from the back of the book:
NO-WIN SITUATION

For the promise of a commission, Corporal Whitey O'Thraight had become Ship's Armorer on the first interstellar flight launched by the planet Vespucci.

But the Asperance's maiden voyage was also its last. And just a few hours after the crash landing, the crew was overrun by armored savages. Only Whitey and a badly wounded lieutenant survived, nd they were prisoners of the local Baron.

But before the Baron's Chief Torturer could finish them off, Whitey and the lieutenant were freed by a group of oddly combative monks. Soon the two survivors had to choose between loyalty to their homeworld and to their new friends -and siding with their rescuers would mean the destruction of Vespucci as they knew it.

16 comments:

  1. ...Libertarian philosophy has gone too far in this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libertarians don't seem to understand the idea of a national community with joint responsibilities.

      Delete
    2. Libertarians believe in a national community, the ones I've spoken with just think the scope of shared responsibilities has gotten way out of hand.

      Delete
    3. I'll take your word for it, but that's not my experience. The Libertarians I've talked with are closer to sovereign citizen views than to anything workable.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good book. Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a tiger or lady challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a Libertarian and used to be proud of it. When asked, I tell people I am an economic conservative and a moral liberal. I still am, but the party has changed a BUNCH since I joined years ago. Now Libertarians are too close to republican thinking, which is also Trump thinking. Real Libertarians believe in do no harm. Not the case in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My questions for Libertarians end up with them using all caps and catch words and phrases like "But my FREEDOM!" and "Government overreach!" I've given up.

      Delete
    2. Here is my motto. Each person has the right to do as s/he sees fit as long as it doesn't interfere with anybody else's life.

      I DO believe in limited govt., because our govt. has gotten so bloated. I also get mad at Medicare. Sally has a doctor for every part in and out of her body, and she takes more pills than any person I've ever seen. I tell her my tax dollars are subsidizing her doctor bills. We often have discussions over that.

      Delete
    3. Defining "limited government" is tricky. The Libertarians I've talked to want limited government and personal freedom and how they define those things are always in line with what _they_ want to do and what _they_ want the government to offer. Public schools? Roads? Utilities? Our standing army? Safety regulations? City building codes? My tax dollars pay for so much! That's what taxes are for ;)

      Delete
    4. In KS we are taxed for everything. We have federal taxes (of course), state, county, and city taxes. Our food tax is almost 10% and so is clothing, etc. Some people go to a different county to buy their products and food because of the county and city taxes that are so expensive/high in Wichita.

      Delete
    5. Our taxes are high here, too. Our sales tax is almost 10%, and property taxes keep going up. TN doesn't have a state income tax.

      Delete
  5. I don't think this is for me! Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting adventure in a Libertarian future from a sympathetic author.

      Delete