Friday, July 23, 2021

A Midsummer Knight's Dream

A Midsummer Knight's Dream is a short story by O. Henry. You can read it online here at this link, or listen to it read to you at the bottom of the post. It begins,
"The knights are dead; Their swords are rust.
Except a few who have to hust-
Le all the time
To raise the dust."


Dear Reader: It was summertime. The sun glared down upon the city with pitiless ferocity. It is difficult for the sun to be ferocious and exhibit compunction simultaneously. The heat was--oh, bother thermometers!--who cares for standard measures, anyhow? It was so hot that--
...

*******

18 comments:

  1. Fun story. Our heatwave broke so back to the old grind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...it's hard to believe that it midsummer already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed getting back into short stories.

      Delete
  4. I love O Henry stories. I need to pull out my old college book (that I still have) and reread some. Hope it was a good Friday. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being introduced to him. He's fun to read.

      Delete
  5. I'll have to check this one out. I've always appreciated O. Henry's work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've bookmarked the story for later. Midsummer here is chaos this year! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this weather! and it won't get better in the future I'm afraid :(

      Delete
  7. I've actually read this. We read it in literature class when I was in High School.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn't one we read, but it's a good one :)

      Delete
  8. I always love O Henry's endings with a twist.
    Could truly feel the heat while listening to this one. Been in the 90s here with air so thick aand heavy you could cut it with a knife. Thank goodness for AC! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have heat advisories with heat indices up into the 107 range and humid! I don't mind it, to be honest, preferring heat to cold, but it's dangerous for some folks.

      Delete
    2. I prefer the cold--lol! I'd choose snow over this melting heat any day--LOL!

      Delete
    3. My daughter has moved to Minnesota. She's like me in preferring the heat, but she says the right winter clothes make all the difference. She says we just don't know how to dress for the cold down here lol

      Delete