Friday, July 30, 2021

Viridiana

Viridiana is a 1961 Spanish-Mexican film directed by Luis Bunuel. It won the Palme d'Or. I watched it on Youtube, but it's not there any more. In fact I can't find it available free-to-me in English anywhere.

This trailer has had playback blocked on other platforms, but you can click "watch on Youtube" and watch the trailer there:


It's included in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. The Guardian has a positive review. Roger Ebert has it on his list of Great Movies. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 96%.

14 comments:

  1. ...the video is off limits for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "Watch on Youtube" link doesn't work?

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I think I'll pass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This list is broadening my horizons lol

      Delete
  3. It gets incredibly good reviews, both from critics and from the screen. When I saw the first scenes, I thought this would be X rated back then. Then I saw the part about the orgy to end all orgies, and I think it may not be something I want to waste time trying to find, even with all the excellent reviews. Maybe they see something I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's considered a classic now, but it was controversial when it was released. The Vatican described it as "blasphemous".

      Delete
  4. Wonder why "they" removed the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copyright issues, I imagine. I can't keep up with all the complicated copyright issues.

      Delete
  5. I love how you are watching so many of these movies. How many have you already seen? I bet you've seen some since you watch so many films, but 1001 is a whole heck of a lot of movies. Happy weekend Nita!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I've seen are noted on the list here:
      https://divers-and-sundry.blogspot.com/2012/04/1001-movies-you-must-see-before-you-die.html
      I'll probably not watch them all. I don't imagine I'll be able to find all of them. HBO Max had several, so I want to watch those while they're still available.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, but not my cup of coffee! valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. zThe video link didn't work but Bunuel is always interesting.

    ReplyDelete