Thursday, July 01, 2021

In Cold Blood


In Cold Blood by Truman Copote is a 1966 true crime novelized account of the Clutter family murders. It's the 2nd-best-selling true crime book in history (after Helter Skelter). It has been adapted for film, but I've never seen them. This book has been in my to-be-read stack for literally decades, and I finally decided to read it. It was a page-turner, I'll say that for it, even knowing how it ends. Or maybe especially knowing how it ends.

from the back of the book:
On November 15, 1959, in the small town of Holcomb, Kansas, four members of the Clutter family were savagely murdered by blasts from a shotgun held a few inches from their faces. There was no apparent motive for the crime, and there were almost no clues.

As Truman Capote reconstructs the murder and the investigation that led to the capture, tial, and execution of the killers, he generates both mesmerizing suspense and astonishing empathy. In Cold Blood is a work that transcends its moments, yielding poignant insights into the nature of American violence.

24 comments:

  1. Another book I haven't read. I don't think I've seen the movie, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always one I _meant_ to read lol I'm glad I've done it.

      Delete
  2. ...and America is violent place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, with violence for no apparent reason :(

      Delete
  3. I love this book and the movie. So well written. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very haunting and disturbing story, especially as it is a real crime - how very sad for the family. Take care and happy July! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disturbing, yes, that's a good word for it.

      Delete
  5. I read this book back in high school or early college. Page turner for sure, and one that you never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it was a hard story to write. Involvement in these people's lives would've been hard.

      Delete
  6. I own the book and have seen the movie. They are similar, but I prefer the book. I think if you are a native of Kansas, you know about and probably own this book. On anniversaries, like 25 years after the Clutter family's death and the same with the executions of Hickock and Smith. I've not seen anything since 2009 when the news people did a 50 year update on the murders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems mostly forgotten now. And there've been so many senseless killings since, it sadly seems to just be another one.

      Delete
  7. This is a great book, and always worth re-reading, enjoy! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll hafta be one and done. I've given the book away.

      Delete
  8. This was a fabulous and frightening book. I did see the film -- the book is in many ways, more chilling. And more fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to skip the movie, I think.

      Delete
  9. I thought I commented on this post. It is a really good book. The fact that it is real is what makes it chilling. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Chilling" is a good word for it. The title was well-chosen to focus on the cold-blooded nature of the killers.

      Delete
  10. Read the book and saw the movie. Both were good in their own ways and quite fascinating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this may be better to read than watch!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm going to skip the movie.

      Delete