Sunday, July 11, 2021

Wuthering Heights (1939)

Wuthering Heights is a 1939 film adaptation of the 1847 Emily Bronte novel. It is directed by William Wylie and stars Laurence Olivier, who died on this date in 1989. According to Wikipedia, "After being ill for the last 22 years of his life, Olivier died of kidney failure ... aged 82 at his home near Steyning, West Sussex. His cremation was held three days later; his ashes were buried in Poets' Corner of Westminster Abbey during a memorial service in October that year." The film also stars Merle Oberon, David Niven, and Geraldine Fitzgerald. The movie won the New York Film Critics Award for Best Film and earned nominations for eight Academy Awards. It lost the Best Director Award to Gone With the Wind, and the Best Actor Award went to Robert Donat for Goodbye, Mr. Chips. It was a Very Good Year in film.

There's an entire Wikipedia article on Olivier's awards and award nominations.


18 comments:

  1. Heeeeaaaathhhhhhcliiiiiifffff! I think this was the first romance I read and I've seen this movie, but not in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes a good subject for adaptation. I read it in high school and loved it.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to watch this today if I catch up visiting everyone. Right now I'm a bit behind, but hoping to catch up after I water my plants that I nearly let die because I didn't water them on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. We got rain, so I haven't had to water for a couple of days.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen any movie versions of this book. But I've read the book several times. It is a good story but Healthcliff is quite the character. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when the 1970 film was released. It took liberties, but most films do.

      Delete
  4. ...yet another that I don't know about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A classic. I still remember my emotional response the first time I read it.

      Delete
  5. I just watched this last week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a wonderful film, I liked it a lot! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great story, and they did a good job on it.

      Delete
  7. I saw this years ago, too. Decades ago. Would be worth watching again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, another one of my faves with two of my favorite actors, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the casting is great, isn't it!

      Delete