Saturday, July 11, 2020

The Mothers


The Mothers is a 2017 short story by Karen Shepard. You can read it online here. It begins,
We are the mothers. Our names are Kim, or Linda, or Janice, or Sue. Sometimes Kristine, or Emilie, who grew up in Canada, but not Brittney or Ashlee with two e’s. We live in small New England towns known for their picturesque beauty, named after Native American tribes or founding fathers, ending in ville or field. Our houses are raised ranches or Capes or converted barns or former farmhouses. They’re in neighborhoods with bike-friendly roads, walking distance to the elementary school and playground. Or at the end of modest dirt driveways in an open meadow with partial views. We drive minivans or SUVs with bike racks on the back and Thules on the roof. Sometimes a pickup, if we’re Republican and borrowed our husbands’ cars. (We’re mostly Democrats, but avoid talking politics if we can. And religion, which most of us never had or have left behind, though some of us are still, shall we say, in the front pews.) Almost all of us are white.

10 comments:

  1. ...thank goodness for mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And they live sports through their sons. Sports, the metaphor of life. Nice find, today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt no connection with these moms lol

      Delete
  3. Mothers and their precious sons as if daughters are chopped liver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter was at least as sports-minded as my sons when they were growing up.

      Delete
  4. Well, I didn't care for her or the rest of the mothers who only cared about their boys and sports. I am anything but a sports pushing mother and don't agree with how they push sports in schools...so I found very little to relate to. I would be telling her, also--get a life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This was a window on another world for me.

      Delete
  5. I need to go read this. I am curious about these New England ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a different world than what I know.

      Delete