Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Sycamore and the Sybil


The Sycamore and the Sybil is a short story by Alix E. Harrow. I came across it on Twitter. You can read it online here. It begins,
Before I was a sycamore I was a woman, and before I was a woman I was a girl, and before I was a girl I was a wet seed wild in the hot-pulp belly of my mother. I remember it: a pulsing blackness, veins unfurling in the dark like roots spreading through the hidden places of the earth. You remember things different, once you’re a tree.

Of course that’s about all trees can do: stand there and remember. We can’t run or spit or sing; we can’t fuck or dance or get good and drunk on a full moon; we can’t hold our mother’s hands or stroke the cheek of a fevered child. We’re towers without any doors or windows; we are prisons and prisoners both, impregnable and alone.

But they can’t hurt us any-damn-more, at least not without working up a sweat, and that’s not nothing.

(If you’re wondering why a woman would trade her limbs and her beating heart for a little slice of safety, well—maybe you’re young. Maybe the world has changed. Maybe you’re dumb as a moss-eaten stump.)

14 comments:

  1. ...an interesting look at the progression of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. female empowerment can be painful and hard-won

      Delete
  2. I like that quote ... dumb as a moss eaten stump. A good description of some this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Time will tell just how "dumb" it was. 2 weeks. So we should see the rise in cases by Fathers Day or so, I guess :(

      Delete
  3. Interesting premise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good and an interesting start to the story. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an intriguing concept. I'm glad I've read it.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the way this one started :)

      Delete
  6. Such an interesting concept! Take care and happy wishes 😀. Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It feels like a metaphor for empowerment in women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empowerment is not without cost both in how we manage ourselves and how we help others on their journey

      Delete