Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection


The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection is #13 in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. I'm reading these in order, and I love these characters. I've read books by this author that are not from this series and haven't liked any of his other work. This series, though, is priceless. There's less and less mystery involved, but I don't care. The characters, setting and plots are delightful! Do start with the first one, as the characters grow and relationships change.

Adapted for television, the series was cancelled after one season, because HBO didn't know a good thing when they had it. Both the books and the TV series were pastimes Mother and I both enjoyed. We read the books together and discussed them, and we watched the series together on DVD. It seems to have such wide appeal. I'll never understand why they didn't renew the show. (edit: We don't have cable, but we were so curious after reading the books that we bought the series on DVD. Well worth it.) You can watch the 2nd episode online:



from the back of the book:
Alexander McCall Smith's beloved best-selling No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series continues as Botswana's best and kindest detective finds her personal and professional lives have become entangled.

Precious Ramotswe is very busy these days. The best apprentice at Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors is in trouble with the law and stuck with the worst lawyer in Gaborone. Grace Makutsi and Phuti Radiphuti are building the house of their dreams, but their builder is not completely on the up and up. Most shockingly, Mma Potokwane, the orphan farm’s respected matron, has been dismissed from her post. Mma Ramotswe is not about to rest when her friends are mistreated. Help arrives from an unexpected visitor. He is none other than the estimable Mr. Clovis Andersen, author of The Principles of Private Detection, the No. 1 Ladies’ prized manual. Together, Mma Ramotswe, Mma Makutsi, and their colleague help right injustices that occur even in their beloved Botswana, and in the process discover something new about being a good detective.
Tea figures prominently in this series, so I'm linking this post to the T(ea) Tuesday link party at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog. The first chapter of this book is titled, "On a Hot Day We Dream of Tea". These are my favorite tea-related quotes:
Mma Ramotswe looked first at the teapot, and then at the clock. She would wait, she decided; if one kept bringing forward the time at which one had tea, then the period after tea time would become far too long. Tea had to be taken at the right time; if anything was clear, it was that.
....
"I am going to make some tea. We shall drink a cup of tea."

Mma Makutsi nodded, and sniffed. "It is always the best think to do, Mma."

It was, of course. The sound of the kettle boiling was in itself the sound of normality, of reason, the sound of a fight back against the sadness of things. And the making of tea -ordinary black tea for Mma Makutsi and red bush for Mma Ramotswe- was the first step in restoring a sense of order and control into their disturbed universe. Then, sitting close together for company, nursing their mugs of tea, they began to discuss what they would do.
....
"Of course I have tea when I wake up, " retorted Mma Ramotswe. "Is there anybody who doesn't have tea when they wake up?"
Kirkus Reviews has a positive review, as does EuroCrime. The Guardian says, "Fans of the series will find much to enjoy". Publishers Weekly says, "As always, the detection is secondary to Smith’s continuing exploration of the rhythms and social dynamics of smalltown African life."

18 comments:

  1. I tried one of the books in the series and was lukewarm about it. I didn't start with the first book though so maybe that was the problem. Never saw the TV version.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound like fun books to read, I will have to see if they're available in audio version. I go through dozens of books that way *grin*
    Thanks for your visit and I'm glad you like my Moomin cup, it was a gift from my daughter in law in Sweden. Happy T Day :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like Darla. I've not seen the TV version of this series, but it might be because I don't have HBO.

    Thanks for calling attention to this series and the connection to Tea for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the interesting review--I never saw this on HBO either, but I'm not sure they would appeal to me either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I am always looking for new books to read, and this sounds right up my alley....thanks! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have cable TV so I've never heard of that show. HAppy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you'll see this comment, but we don't have cable either. We just had to try the series after enjoying the books so much, so we bought the DVDs. I embedded a video of the 2nd episode in the post. They are delightful;

      Delete
  7. Thank you for introducing me to this... never hreard about this author even there are many of his novels translated into german... shame on me.

    xxx
    Susi
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. not heard of this one...You read so many interesting books and although tempting I pretty much stick to non fiction. Thanks for sharing and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these books and "red" tea too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never read the books but oh-how I loved that series! Was so disappointed when they cancelled it. Yes, they were always making and drinking tea. :):) They definitely didn't know a good thing when they had it!! Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello and Happy T Day! Have not heard of these books or series but sounds good and one that my daughter might enjoy. Thanks for sharing and I loved the sentiments shared too, I start my day with tea everyday, can't imagine not doing it now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the references to tea and the "right" time in which to have tea, even though I've not heard of either author or series. Sounds like a fun series to read.
    Thanks for the visit this week.
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mum-in-law has a guy in the home-care service who is from Tanzania, I think. He affectionately called her Mma, and when she protested, she can´t be his mamma, he is too big! he pointed at the husband, who happened to come by and said "but look how big he is, and you are his mamma! I am small beside him!". This amused her much and later I told her that when we were in Kenya even I was called Mma, it is like Mrs for us, a title of respect. She liked that. She also likes that some of the home-care people ask her for a cup of tea when they have made her dinner, and join her at table - she has the best tea, they say; it´s PG Tips.

    Margaret Drabble once said that love and sandwiches are the only never-ending pleasures in life, but surely tea must also be added to that short list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Margaret Drabble saying and agree with you on the tea. I've never had PG Tips. I should try that. I've never read anything by her. She has books still in print, so I need to look for her..

      Delete
  14. I've never heard of these book so I'll have to check them out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed the TV series immensely!
    The characters and their accents were so endearing...
    wish it had continued.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have had this series on UK TV and I did catch one or two. I am not a big TV person.
    Happy T Day.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete