Friday, February 20, 2015

Full Circle

Full Circle (also called The Haunting of Julia) is a 1977 horror film based on a novel by Peter Straub. Mia Farrow stars with Keir Dullea (who played Dave Bowman in 2001: A Space Odyssey), Edward Hardwicke (one of the Dr. Watson actors in the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes TV series), Peter Sallis (the only actor to appear in all episodes of the TV series The Last of the Summer Wine, had a role in one of the Doctor Who stories, voiced Rat in the Cosgrove Hall The Wind in the Willows series, and was the voice of Wallace from 1989-2011), Damaris Hayman (who appeared in a Doctor Who serial), Denis Lill (who was in Doctor Who twice in 1977 and as a different character in 1984), and Michael Bilton (who was in an episode of The Prisoner as well as 3 of the Doctor Who serials).

I had never heard of this and don't really understand why it's not better known. The music contributes to the atmosphere, though it's dated. It's a 70s horror film, after all..

via Youtube:


Moria gives it 2 out of 5 stars and says, "for all the film’s would-be pretension towards psychological subtlety, it remains only a traditional horror film." Fright.com calls it "An appealingly creepy, understated and compelling film". Rotten Tomatoes doesn't have a critics score, but the audience score is 53%.

4 comments:

  1. HMM. I am sure the critics weren't as pleased with this as you were. I also enjoyed it.

    Ice and snow are headed our way later tonight. Hope it misses you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got more ice & snow yesterday, and there's still ice on the ground, but we've got rain and a high of 55F expected for today.

      Delete
  2. I had to take a look at this when you wrote Edward Hardwicke was in it - he is certainly almost unrecognizable, except for the voice (wonderful voice, though). Love him as Dr Watson. I´m not too fond of Mia Farrow, that´s my problem, but I think the film was quite watchable. Tom Conti, my! he was pretty there! Also, I love the gallery of old ladies - I want to be just like that when I grow up! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horror with madness. I think Mia Farrow does give a pretty good horror/madness vibe, but I'm not a fan of the wide-eyed helplessness.

      Delete