Tuesday, December 14, 2021

My Night at Maud's

*note: We did not get damage from the tornadoes that went through Tennessee, but we did lose power from Friday night to Monday afternoon. I can access Facebook and Twitter on my phone, but I don't have Blogger set up that way. My FB peeps heard the Sad Saga of the lightless, heatless, waterless days and nights, and you might well count yourselves lucky to have missed out on my whining. I don't use blogger that way. I've missed y'all and hope to catch up soon!

*******


My Night at Maud's is a 1969 French New Wave drama film directed by Éric Rohmer. It takes place during the Christmas holiday season. I watched it on HBO Max.

trailer:


Roger Ebert opens a positive review by saying,
Eric Rohmer's "My Night at Maud's" is about love, being a Roman Catholic, body language and the games people play. It is just about the best movie I've seen on all four subjects. It is also, a refreshingly intelligent movie: not that it's ideological or academic (far from it) but that it is thoughtful, and reveals a deep knowledge of human nature.
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 95%. It's included in the book 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.

Here's a screenshot for the folks participating in the T Stands for Tuesday blogger gathering:



16 comments:

  1. ...Maud, now that's a name that isn't popular these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing hopefully what proves to be a cheerful Christmas movie. Happy tea time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's high praise for this film. I may need to add it to the list. If I ever have time to watch anything again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, I have watched allot of old movies and I have never seen this one-will watch for it. glad you had no tornado damage, but without power is difficult these days. since this woodstove at the lake house is not safe to use at the moment I am hoping we don't lose power which also means no heat.
    thanks for noticing my ink well-I really love being able to finally use it-it is so pretty I love it smiles
    Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losing power is no fun but thankfully it was nothing worse for you. Interesting movie- I'll see if I can find it to watch. Thanks for sharing, and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen this one, thanks it looks interesting. Happy International T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry your powder was out. The film sounds good. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks for sharing this movie.

    Although it is not good to lose power, thankfully you did not experience anything worse.
    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just glad your power is back and I get the whining. No need to apologize as I get the same way even when power is out for an hour. Smile. I guess you are having a good T day now that the power is back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad that you didn't have any damage from the tornado, but being without power for several days sucks. I don't blame you for whining about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wondered what happened to you, dear. I was sure you must have been on vacation or something. I never guessed you were stuck in a cold, dark, home without any power whatsoever. I'm just glad you are safe and well.

    Really nice screen capture of the drinks. This looks like an interesting film, too. Thanks for sharing this with us for T this Tuesday. So glad you are back online, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry for you losing power and going through all that. I am glad you didn't have any damage. All of the storms with loss of life and homes was so tragic. I hadn't heard of the movie. Maude reminds me of an old TV show. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds wonderful and like something I should watch for sure. Love your T-day screenshot! Glad you are safe!!!

    Happy T-day and hugz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the update and I'm so pleased to hear that you are safe and sound! The movie sounds fun 😁. Take care! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to hear you had a power outage, but relieved that you are safe. If you are prepared it can be quite romantic. But I hate to think what my freezer will look like after a few days without power.
    I've not heard of that film, but the name Maude reminds me of the tv series of the same name. We used to watch that. Wasn't she the friend of Archie Bunker's wife and then starred in her own series?
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maude was Edith's cousin. She had her own series for 6 seasons in the 1970s.

      Delete