Sunday, June 20, 2021

The Long Ships

The Long Ships is a 1964 British/Yugoslav film starring Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier. There is so much not to like here unless you're a Widmark or Poitier completest. I didn't finish it.


In 3 parts below with ads.

Part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


DVD Talk calls it a "total botch" and says, "The only way to account for the erratic final result is to point at the gross miscasting and waste of good actors in minor roles. Much of the film appears to be played for laughs that aren't in the script." Rotten Tomatoes has a 50% critics consensus and a 39% audience rating. TCM has an overview.

12 comments:

  1. OMG this is one of my favorite movies! I’m a Widmark fan. I first saw this movie when I was 10 years old. Widmark and Potier were best friends (after they filmed No Way Out). And their scenes together are fabulous. The book was pretty good, too. I read it when I was a teen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame these stars were cast here, I think. I'm not one of the 39% of audience members who liked the film ;) but then I often do like films most thers don't.

      Delete
  2. How incredibly sad that such great actors as Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier got such poor reviews. Truly sad indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miscast. That was part of the problem it seems.

      Delete
  3. Oh, this sounds like something I had tried to watch, too--LOL! Oh well. Some movies are bombs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They meant well lol and I'm sure it sounded like a good idea at the time.

      Delete
  4. I think I'll give this one a pass! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of CJ's favorites, though, so some people like it.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the advice. Life is too short for movies you don't enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned not to finish movies and books that I don't want to finish lol Took me long enough, but I'm there now.

      Delete
  6. ... and it had a good cast, shame about the ratings, although obviously CJ wouldn't agree!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete