Friday, February 05, 2021

To the Land of Long Lost Friends

image from the author's site


To the Land of Long Lost Friends is the 20th book in the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. I read these as I'm able after they're released in paperback. They are easy reads with delightful characters.

from the back of the book:
When Mma Ramotswe reconnects with an old friend who's having problems with her daughter, she can't help but lend a hand. The young woman appears to be involved with a charismatic preacher -but are his ministrations entirely of a godly nature?

Elsewhere, Charlie is also dealing with a tricky matter of the heart. He wishes to propose to his girlfriend, Queenie-Quennie, but he needs to impress her father. When Queenie-Queenie's brother offers to help by giving him a job, it may not be quite what Charlie expected. As always, Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni will share wise counsel, Mma Makutsi will weigh in with her opinions, and Mma Potokwane will be there with her welcome fruitcake. But in the end it will be up to Mma Ramotswe to reflect on love, family, and the nature of men and women in order to resolve familial dramas and remind everyone about all the good things they have in life -so many, in fact, that it would take far too long to count them.
Kirkus Reviews has a review. Publishers Weekly concludes, "As usual, the warm, humorous interactions among the characters count more than the detecting. Smith’s humanity shines throughout."

23 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of the Ladies Detective Agency books in a while - thanks for the reminder of this wonderful series. Such charming characters. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters are the best part. "Charming" is a perfect word for them :)

      Delete
  2. I like this series too. I haven't read any for a long time, and I should get back to them. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ask for them as gifts lol as soon as paperbacks are available.

      Delete
  3. ...none of us have enough friends to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one! Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good mystery, thanks for the recommendation 😁. Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters are what's memorable, the actual "mysteries" not so much ;)

      Delete
    2. Great, thanks for clarifying! Sounds even better 😀. Hugs, Jo x

      Delete
  7. Haven't read this series

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first in that series is the only one I have read. Somehow I never went back. I’ve enjoyed several other novels set in various African countries, but they were mostly written by people who were from the group that was in the story, while this one is by an outsider.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My younger son read the first 3, but liked each one less than the one before because of the increasing focus on the characters and the decreasing focus on the mysteries. That continues.

      The author was born in what is now Zimbabwe and lived there until he went to Scotland for school at age 17 to study law. He returned to southern Africa and lived there several years before returning to Scotland. He has dual British/Zimbabwean citizenship.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read one of these in a long time. I enjoy his books -- and this is really a fun series! Maybe I should get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always look forward to the next one :)

      Delete
  10. Every time you mention these books I miss the series they started and quit so suddenly after one season, I loved it. Our library here didn't have them--back when we had the library lady coming. Not since the pandemic, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that series and was so disappointed when it ended after just a single season. I still don't understand why :( It was _perfectly_ cast and such fun. We have the DVDs and re-watch it every once in a while. I want more!!!

      Delete