Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Blood on the Moon

Blood on the Moon is a 1948 Western film directed by Robert Wise and starring Robert Mitchum, Barbara Bel Geddes, and Robert Preston. Walter Brennan is also in this one. I watched it at this link.

trailer:


50 Westerns from the 50s opens with this:
In a strict chronological sense, Blood On The Moon (1948) isn’t a 50s Western. But in other ways — look, themes, etc., it fits right in with the best the 50s came up with. It also stands as maybe the finest example of film noir creeping into a cowboy movie.
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics consensus score of 100%.

18 comments:

  1. ...I was a bit young to have watched it when it was released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But a sparkle in my parents' eye ;)

      Delete
  2. Robert Wise is a fantastic director, but I'm not a fan of Mitchum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "not a fan of Mitchum"! He's one of my all-time absolute will-watch-anything-with-him-in-it favorites.

      Delete
    2. Robert Mitchum is to me the way Bette Davis is to you

      Delete
    3. And each has such gorgeous eyes :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds very interesting! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant score from Rotten Tomatoes!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know this film. But when I read the name Barbara Bel Geddes I ways think of her role on Dallas, way back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was in Vertigo, too. Such a wonderful career!

      Delete
  6. This looks so familiar. I am sure I watched this on a Saturday afternoon back in the early 60s. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen it before, but it looks like the kind of thing that would've been shown in those afternoon movies series.

      Delete
  7. Why does Robert Wise sound SO familiar to me? Never heard of this film before, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert Wise was an Academy award-winning director with many acclaimed horror, noir, western, war, science fiction, musical and drama films. He was 91 when he died in 2005 so had a long career. He directed West Side Story and Sound of Music, which might possibly be where you know his name...

      Delete
  8. Not familiar with this one, did you enjoy it? I like Robert Mitchum so will give it a try 😀. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a good one. I do like Mitchum :)

      Delete