Thursday, May 30, 2019

The Blues Brothers

The Blues Brothers is a 1980 musical comedy film, a work of genius. How I had not yet seen it is a wonder best not dwelt on. I've seen it now, though, and it's a riot.

trailer:


Part of the soundtrack is available on Spotify:



The Telegraph says it "is a comedy classic with some of the finest car chase scenes in the history of movies." Empire Online says, "Funny as hell with lots of cool action and lots of cool lines." Rotten Tomatoes has an audience score of 92%.

Roger Ebert concludes:
What's a little startling about this movie is that all of this works. The Blues Brothers cost untold millions of dollars and kept threatening to grow completely out of control. But director John Landis (of “Animal House”) has somehow pulled it together, with a good deal of help from the strongly defined personalities of the title characters. Belushi and Aykroyd come over as hard-boiled city guys, total cynics with a world-view of sublime simplicity, and that all fits perfectly with the movie's other parts. There's even room, in the midst of the carnage and mayhem, for a surprising amount of grace, humor, and whimsy.

18 comments:

  1. Love this movie! We're on a mission from God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How'd I miss it all these years? I have strange gaps in my pop culture experience.

      Delete
  2. sounds like a fun movie-I have not seen it either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great fun. Made me want to sing along :)

      Delete
  3. I saw this movie a long time ago. It might be time to see it again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody else saw it long ago lol I missed the moment, but it's still a riot even now.

      Delete
  4. I think I saw this one, but not sure. If I did, it was on TV, not in a movie theater. I KNOW I saw Animal House on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Animal House I did see back when it was released. More than once lol

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! I have never seen it. How did I miss it, too? I might have to find this to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How'd we miss this?! We are in a very small group that was old enough to see it when it was released and yet missed it somehow. I got mine on DVD for $1 in the local "Media Outlet" shop.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like fun. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun. The music alone is worth it.

      Delete
  7. Dan Aykroyd a good Canadian boy ...my Uncle use to dress up like the Elwood of the Blues Brothers every Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fabulous movie and one of my hubby's favourite, he loves the music! If I mention your post to him, I'm sure we'll be watching this tonight ...lol 😉. Have a great day! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually bought this for my husband, assuming if I hadn't seen it he must not have. Wrong lol But he loves it so watched it again with me.

      Delete
  9. You got to LOVE this one! Even the music was supreme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that music! And the attitude is priceless.

      Delete