Saturday, May 11, 2019

The Bank Dick

The Bank Dick is a 1940 W.C. Fields comedy. It appears on a lot of "best film" lists, but I don't like W.C. Fields. If your taste runs towards this type of comedy you're in for a rare treat. I think it's tedious. I found it online but don't see it now.

trailer:



Roger Ebert has it on his list of "Great Movies" and says, ""The Bank Dick" (1940) is probably Fields' best film, but his career resides not so much in individual films as in scenes and moments scattered here and there between his first short subject, in 1915, and his last films in the mid-1940s." Film Site calls it "an all-time classic comedy". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 100%.

12 comments:

  1. Yeah, WC was not one of my favorites from that era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did understand why he was so popular, but then I don't like the three stooges either.

      Delete
    2. :-O We loved the Three Stooges. Ma didn't like them either and didn't want us to watch them. She was afraid. and rightly so, that The Brother would try some of their antics. Her mother loved The Three Stooges so we got a healthy dose of slapstick when Grandma was around or we were at Grandma's.

      Delete
    3. The running joke at our house used to be, "Q: What's the difference between men and women? A: Women don't like the Three Stooges." lol It was true in my family. I loved the Marx Brothers and Laurel and Hardy, tho.

      Delete
  2. I don't like W.C. Fields either. And comedies in the older black and white films are usually too corny for me to like. Sometimes the old mysteries threw in some comic relief which I also find on the corny side but I'm more willing to overlook (like in "The Girl Who Dared" which I watched recently).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The occasional comic moment is ok but not an entire comedy in his style. I'm looking up The Girl Who Dared to bookmark it, thanks :)

      Delete
  3. I am not a WC Fields fan myself either. Of course I decided that years ago watching old films so maybe my opinion has changed a bit. Or maybe not. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hasn't aged well, and I don't like him any better now than I did when I was young. YMMV, as they say, but I wouldn't bet on it ;)

      Delete
  4. This is not something for me this time. Have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like mean or insult comedy, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like Barney Fife humor, where we're supposed to laugh at people's embarrassment. I don't mind insult so much, but I don't like Don Rickles-type meanness.

      Delete