Saturday, March 30, 2019

The Illustrated Man


I remember when I bought this book in my youth, and I have read it numerous times since. The Illustrated Man is a 1951 short story collection by Ray Bradbury. If you're a science fiction/fantasy fan or if you like Ray Bradbury I'm sure you've read this at least once. If not, I'd encourage you to give it a try. They're short stories, after all, and easy to start and then skip to the next one if you're not engaged. There's a variety here, so it's entirely possible to like one and not another of them.

from the dust jacket:
Here are twenty stories, welded in a delightfully ingenious framework, in which "the incomparable Ray Bradbury," as reviewers have called him, again kicks loose his wonderful imagination and lets it soar through space and time to seek out the weird and the lovely, the simple and the terrible, in his fellow man.

Here are stories of other worlds:
  • Of love and inspiration on Mars-
  • Of madness in Venus's eternal rains-
  • Of lonely death in space between worlds-
  • And of the little villages of our own world where there are strange things we never notice and strange beings we never meet.
But like all Bradbury stories, these are always tales of people, written with the freshness and quality which have brought the author widespread critical acclaim.
It was adapted for film in 1969, and though that was a fine enough film (with Rod Steiger in the title role) it doesn't hold a candle to the book. There's a new production in Development Hell.

Conceptual Fiction concludes,
It is worth remembering that this author, whose life spanned the period from the introduction of the Model T Ford to the most modern and streamlined hybrid vehicles, never learned to drive a car. He is a proud technophobe who also scorns computers, the Internet and ATMs. But you don’t need a driver’s license to traverse the galaxy in your imagination. And for that, Ray Bradbury is the first person you would want behind the wheel.
The C.S. Monitor names it as one of Bradbury's best. SF Site praises it and says, "Re-reading The Illustrated Man for this review was no chore, any more than viewing yet another Monet painting. It is a true classic." Kirkus Reviews calls it "A book which is not limited by its special field."

14 comments:

  1. I haven't read the short stories and don't remember seeing the film. Something for the To Do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a don't-miss book if you're into science fiction at all.

      Delete
  2. I hope this is your original book. I have a bunch of those original paperbacks I bought when younger, and even some books I got as a kid, that I can't get rid of because I loved the stories. I was an Agatha Christie addict, and still have a whole stack of those well worn paperbacks. Happy Saturday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in a science fiction mail order book club when I was a young teen, and tho I didn't keep many of the books (I didn't actually buy all that much of what they offered) I did keep this one. A classic!

      Delete
  3. Will give it a try ! Thank you for pointing it out! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book somewhere, I hope I can find it. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked for a couple of books recently and still haven't found them. I know I wouldn't have gotten rid of them. Or I thought I knew ... They have lives of their own maybe lol

      Delete
  5. I loved the book! The movie wasn't near as good, but the book would have been hard to make into a movie, I think, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a formative experience for me, reading this book. It'd be hard to incorporate all the stories, and it'd be hard not to over-emphasize the illustrated man himself instead of leaving him as the frame story he is.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you enjoy this author and it's so nice that you have kept this book for so long and keep reading it - perfect 😁. Happy weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this author has always been important to me :) It's nice to still have the book :)

      Delete
  7. I love Ray Bradbury. I have several of his books and a few of his compilations. I'll look to see if this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete