Thursday, March 21, 2019

Cathedral (1981)

photo from Wikipedia

Cathedral is a 1981 short story by Raymond Carver. It is a story about seeing and transformation. Considered one of Carver's finest works, it was included in the 1982 edition of Best American Short Stories. You can read it online here. It begins,
This blind man, an old friend of my wife’s, he was on his way to spend the night. His wife had died. So he was visiting the dead wife’s relatives in Connecticut. He called my wife from his in-law’s. Arrangements were made. He would come by train, a five-hour trip, and my wife would meet him at the station. She hadn’t seen him since she worked for him one summer in Seattle ten years ago. But she and the blind man had kept in touch. They made tapes and mailed them back and forth. I wasn’t enthusiastic about his visit. He was no one I knew. And his being blind bothered me. My idea of blindness came from the movies. In the movies, the blind moved slowly and never laughed. Sometimes they were led by seeing-eye dogs. A blind man in my house was not something I looked forward to.

That summer in Seattle she had needed a job. She didn’t have any money. The man she was going to marry at the end of the summer was in officers’ training school. He didn’t have any money, either. But she was in love with the guy, and he was in love with her, etc. She’d seen something in the paper: HELP WANTED —Reading to Blind Man, and a telephone number. She phoned and went over, was hired on the spot. She worked with this blind man all summer. She read stuff to him, case studies, reports, that sort of thing. She helped him organize his little office in the county social service department. They’d become good friends, my wife and the blind man

10 comments:

  1. And now I have something to finish when I get to class early today. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. I found it an encouraging story :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I don't know this one so will read it later. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. It was my first time to read it, too :)

      Delete
  3. Going to read it now. I read 2 pages and need to see where it goes. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at the story development. Nice :)

      Delete
  4. Was a good one!! I love stories that take you on a journey and leave you contemplating. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked how this one ended. Unexpected :)

      Delete
  5. This certainly didn't end like I thought it would. Seems I'll never catch up if I continue reading and reading and viewing (grin). This was worth it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have you back :) Internet outages are so frustrating!

      Delete