Sunday, June 04, 2017

Jules and Jim

Jules and Jim is a 1962 French film directed by François Truffaut. This one has been on my to-be-watched shelf for ages, and I'm so glad I finally got to it.

trailer:



The New York Times calls it "an arch and arty study of the perversities of woman and the patience of man". Slant Magazine says, "Truffaut is inarguably the star of the film and his presence alone justifies both Jules and Jim's almost immediate introduction into the canon of greatness as well as its enduring appeal."

The Guardian concludes,
Jules et Jim seemed revolutionary at the time, but Truffaut's revolution, unlike Godard's, implied not so much the destruction of the past as a turning back to the humanism of Vigo, Renoir and the French cinema of the 30s. The film's "rondo of love" represents both a backward glance at the best of the past and a forward glance into the cinema's future. Its enthusiasm for what the cinema is and can be is what makes it so special.
Criterion calls it "Hailed as one of the finest films ever made...". Roger Ebert includes it on his list of Great Films. Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 97%.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a love triangle gone wrong. Probably not something I would watch, but it was good you reviewed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a love triangle gone wrong. Terribly wrong. I've forgotten why I had this DVD, but probably it was a combination of the director and a cheap used copy at my local shop ;) I'm glad I've seen it but can't imagine wanting to re-watch it.

      Delete
  2. I loved the music in this! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete