Thursday, August 10, 2006

More exercising

Today I walked 2 miles in 40 minutes, and my heart rate during the walk has gone down since I started doing this. It was 119 right after today's walk. Then I used a new video: Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds 1-mile walk. It was an easy routine to follow, just like it says: "walk." She varies walking in place by adding easy steps of side steps, kicks, knee lefts, widening the stance and back kicks. She uses a "stretchie" for some resistance training, but, as I don't have one, I did the arm movements without it. This may be the perfect non-threatening beginner exercise video for those who just want to increase their activity level. It's uncomplicated, starts off slow, builds up gradually, eases off for a cool-down and finishes with stretches. Not much in the way of stretches, though. She cues you when you've reached the half-mile point and talks a bit about the music setting the pace. There is a group of people exercising with her, and she encourages you by mentioning the ages of the oldest (72) and youngest (28) and praising the 55-year-old grandmother there who had lost a lot of weight with the program. There is a lot of "you can do this" and "doesn't this feel good" pep talk throughout the mile.

For breakfast I had 2 pieces of wheat toast with butter, cranberry juice and hot tea. For lunch I had 1/2 of a turkey sub with lettuce, tomato and swiss cheese with water, a dill pickle spear, blueberries and Sugar Smacks for dessert. For supper I had a salmon patty, canned asparagus, cranberry sauce, 1/2 of a baked sweet potato and water with more sugar smacks for dessert to go with my coffee.

We walked a mile before bed tonight after watching a Babylon 5 episode on dvd. It took us a little over 20 minutes. More information on Babylon 5 is here and here. I'm a fan from the original airing of the first episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment