Sunday, June 25, 2017

Notes on a Scandal

Notes on a Scandal is a 2006 psychological drama starring Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, and Bill Nighy, and featuring a music score by Phillip Glass. The main characters in this film are despicable and unsympathetic. It is at times actually painful to watch, and the ending provides no justice or peace or resolution.

trailer:



The New York Times opens with this: "The claws draw blood in “Notes on a Scandal,” a misanthropic game of cat and mouse from which no one emerges unscathed". The Guardian says, "Something so horrible and abject shouldn't be so compulsively watchable, and yet it is." The Independent has some of the same plot-spoiling concerns about the film that I do.

Empire Online calls it "Intelligent, classy and skin-crawling." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 87%.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that was powerful. I read the Independent's concerns and can see how there was so much that could have been said or done, but wasn't. It was a good review, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a powerful film, I agree with you.

      Delete
  2. It was a compelling movie. Love Judi Dench, but she was such an awful, pathetic woman in this one--LOL! Like you said--they were all awful. But the psychology of it all was what drew me in to the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was fascinated with it as psychological character study. I did find myself talking to the characters as I watched the movie.

      Delete