Friday, March 10, 2017

A Red Death


A Red Death by Walter Mosley is the 2nd book in the Easy Rawlins mystery series, and an interesting look at African American culture in California during the 1950s. I'm enjoying these and look forward to the next one.

from the back of the book:
It's 1953 in red-baiting, blacklisting Los Angeles, a moral tar pit ready to swallow Easy Rawlins. Easy is out of "the hurting business" and into the housing (and favor) business when a racist IRS agent nails him for tax evasion. Special Agent Darryl T. Craxton, FBI, offers to bail him out if he agrees to infiltrate the First American Baptist Church and spy on alleged communist organizer Chaim Wenzler. That's when the murders begin....
The New York Times closes by saying, "Mr. Mosley has depicted a special locale and a corner-cutting way of life that most readers will find far more riveting than the crime pages of their newspapers." Kirkus Reviews praises it.

8 comments:

  1. I love these books by Walter Mosley. I've read several. He seems to use a color in his book titles, much like Sue Grafton uses letters in the titles of her books. But that is where the similarity ends. Mosley writes with grit and often gruff, looking at the LA scene from a black person's point of view.

    I remember the first time I was in LA and saw the Watts Towers and other places like the LaBrea Tar Pits. Many of the places I saw were not there in the 1950s, at least from what I learned from history. But much of what I saw was right before the Watts riots (and the infamous OJ trial), which makes me think about these books in a different light than if I hadn't seen what many of the blacks in the late 80s, early 90s saw. Whenever I think about these events, it helps me relate to Mosley's books in which he depicts the 1950s.

    Thanks for this review. These are books and a great author I always appreciate. Glad you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to LA, but I can see how it would help inform the reading of these books. That would be a fascinating trip :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great read, I like intrigue and espionage :-) . I haven't read any of these book so thanks for the recommendation. Wishing you a great weekend! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a night-time dusting of huge fluffy snowflakes lol, so the weekend is fun so far.

      I found this author by picking up a random book of his on a used book shelf. I love finding new authors! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation. I've never read any of his books but will put him on my list. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like him. It's a different setting/time period than I'm used to reading. Variety :)

      Delete
  4. I'm sure I've dipped into this series in the past. I'll have to look at my records. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many authors who write series. I had no idea!

      Delete